Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Vs v6 don’t have the additional fan.

But tow pack brackets accommodate for fan on v8 models and earlier 6’s with the condenser fans.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So all the V8s have the brackets? As does factory tow pack VS V6? I can have a look at the wrecker he has about 6 or 7 VS no V8s though. Only one other wrecker who has a couple of VR and VS might get lucky with him. Only two places though that have any VR or VS. Actual numbers of VR and VS are dwindling in the north.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Losh I thought you sold your house that has the shed with the pit? So confused lol!

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I literally just threw out a set lol. Can take pics and send if you want. The brackets aren’t anything special. Could make your own if you own a hacksaw and a drill and then just bend by hand.

Almost every late model vs with screw type fittings I’ve had/seen have the factory cooler. Earlier barbed type fittings, no extra cooler unless aftermarket. Not sure on what exact models got what but you won’t struggle to find them. They all use the same brackets though which is what matters

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Losh I thought you sold your house that has the shed with the pit? So confused lol!

No, no have been considering selling but I want too much and would need a block in close to Town before I sell.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I literally just threw out a set lol. Can take pics and send if you want. The brackets aren’t anything special. Could make your own if you own a hacksaw and a drill and then just bend by hand.

Almost every late model vs with screw type fittings I’ve had/seen have the factory cooler. Earlier barbed type fittings, no extra cooler unless aftermarket. Not sure on what exact models got what but you won’t struggle to find them. They all use the same brackets though which is what matters

Yes please send me some pics. Meanwhile I will check my cooler and see if it has the option to be screwed on.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just checked my cooler and it does have a small channel down two sides so guessing that could be used to fix it, if I do go that way. Probably would need a new fan as well as mine is cracked on the mounts, which were repaired when the A/C bloke replaced the condenser and liquid line.
Also I had hoped the barbed fittings were removable on the plastic rad, but no they are not. This means I need to try Bamford's for some fittings or I need to message the seller to see if he has a spare. Either way it won't be fitted this weekend as I would have liked; I need some trans cooler hose as even though it has only been 6-8 months since the new hose and cooler was fitted they are already hardish and wouldn't slip off the barbs without some force or cutting.

I still have to touch up a couple of paint spots where I have repaired a dent in the bonnet and a scratch in my roof from carting a load that slipped. Shame about the roof as I only painted the entire thing last year. At least paint matching won't be a issue on the roof. :):) I have some pressure can gear to seal it off and I will buy a litre of the Alaskan this time ready for when I repaint the whole bonnet and possibly the tub rear quarter if it ever gets repaired. I have decided that once the weather warms up and I paint the bonnet and possibly the roof again I will layer some clear over it, to help the white go further and give it some more durability.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Question, does anyone know what the barb adapter fittings that go into the trans cooler on that rad are called? I have tried eBay but they are not coming up. I am thinking I might not be calling the correct name and therefore not getting the right hits.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi Losh,
I have a few of these laying around from radiators that come with both the fittings in brass and I've never required the barbs as all mine are the later screw on type.

If you want I could send them to you.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hi Losh,
I have a few of these laying around from radiators that come with both the fittings in brass and I've never required the barbs as all mine are the later screw on type.

If you want I could send them to you.
that would be awesome. I will wait to see what the sellers says. If no go with him i will PM you and work out a price.