Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20180217_112224_resized.jpg
i have most of the cabling sorted for the spotties. Fortunately I had most of the cables already made up from when I owned the Jeep. Might get around to setting up the relay today. Then i can fit the switch next week.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Maybe I missed it, blinkers working ok?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Maybe I missed it, blinkers working ok?
yeah replaced the stalk when i fitted the new steering column. Cruise switch even turns off now and it also no longer cuts in at random times while cruising at 100 clicks. On another note i just did some running of the cables for the driving lights. Put main power to the relay, with the fuse left out. Also ran the main power wires to the ballasts. Ballast cover is damaged on one so need to put some black rtv on it to seal it up. Then i will mount them in the lower bumper vent out of the way. Gonna need some help connecting the rest of the relay and tapping in to the high beam as im a bit lost now and Google wasnt much help just confused me. Last time I installed them a mate helped with connecting the switch to the relay. I also had easy access to the high beam as i fitted a HD loom so i could run 100/130 H4 globes and the relay was close by.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Good stuff, a new stalk works wonders. I can't help with wiring but post pics of what your trying to connect to and someone will know.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20180217_140054.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks greenacc. According to Google i need a ground on the relay. I have one ready to fit but not sure where it goes. Then i somehow need to run the switch wires one from the hi beam to either the relay or back to the main switch. This is where I get confused.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I just found a relay for the headlights screwed to the body. It runs the headlights but i don't know if they are hi beam or not or both? Although I would have thought you need two relays to run both hi and lo?? If it is hi only then i need to work out what post to get my switch from and then where to connect the switch wire.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Quick update. I pulled out the cables and the relay i mentioned above. I worked out it was for the fog lights that i removed today. Previous owner had wired them into the high beams. Worked out well for me though as i have a ground and a hot wire from the hi beams with female lugs on them. Ive fitted the ground to the relay. I also fitted the hi beam trigger to test the HIDs. And walla they work. Had to pull the trigger off as i had no way of turning the HIDs off while hi beam is on as i had the trigger connected to the relay.. But i think i have worked out what wires need to go to the override switch. Pretty sure i put one cable from the override switch to the relay and the other into the hi beam trigger. Hoping to get to jaycar tomorrow arvo and pick up some conduit for the main switch cables. Then should be right to complete the install on Monday or Tuesday after work.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Little bit more done on the driving lights this morning. I'm still yet to connect the overide switch but I'm ready to pop the ballasts on and align the lights, ready for when the main switch is connected. Im hoping that i may get time to run the switch wires this evening when we get back from the movies. I get a bit impatient when I see 3/4 of a job and just want to get it finished.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20180218_094935.jpg
once all the wires are sorted im gonna move the relay onto the side of the guard, so it looks tidy. At the moment its easier to have it where it is so i can access it while I get everything working.