Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Was hoping I might have had the estimate on the heads by now, but nup..... I called the bloke again yesterday and he still hadn't looked at them. Bummed, because I can't plan until I know what I'm up for. I'm not going to call him again until late next week. Poor bugger must be under the pump. I suspect that he might be gettinga million calls asking for info as he builds race engines. I was told he is constantly on the phone. Bloke asked if I wanted a job? I'd say the boss might have taken me on too if I was in the market but halving my fortnightly wage is not something I want. It would be fun to learn how to do full builds and use equipment. It would save me a ton of money lol. But when approaching 50 I'm not looking to change jobs anytime in the next few years, especially when I am eligible for LSL in another 5 years and prorata if they make me redundant in the next two years.
In another thread I asked about doing my own comp test. I was going to pay and get it done but if my 30 year old comp tester still works I will do it myself and save 90 bucks. Way things are going time wise it could be Christmas before the heads come off the ute.

How much was he offering? If it's close to what I get now then I would be interested.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
PM sent

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got the estimate on the heads today. Wholl, it will be between $1200 and $1400. I have said hold off for a few weeks, as I'm not keen to spend that much from my next two pays. Looking like it could be early November before I get them back. I was hoping for $1000 max. Lot of coin for a V6. But it will mean everything is in good shape, after this.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Got the estimate on the heads today. Wholl, it will be between $1200 and $1400.
Just for reco? Or what else are they doing ? Gold plated ?
So these must be a bargain ?
Screenshot_20200917-142607.png

Screenshot_20200917-142532.png

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
New springs too.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I wouldn't trust ebay heads for 300 lol. They likely don't even regrind the seats and valves. They probably just lap'em do new seals and a face surface.
My trade price from a freind in his engine shop for new valves seats re machined and decks surfaced would be over $600.

If you're doing it right you should do new guides, valves, springs, retainers, locks and seals. Plus blend the seats in after you cut and throat them.

Even if they re-cut the seats at that price there's nothing worse than having some guy just plunge the cutter to the depth set on the machine and just do one 45 deg quick cut. You may as well buy a grinding stone from goodsons and do it your self.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I went to the machine shop after work and had a good talk with him. A straight grind and shave is $480. Mine will come in at $1300 not $1400 as that was a V8 price. Basically I need on top of the grind $300 for springs, $100 for valves, $400 for pocket porting. Getting the valves and seats reshaped for better flow. The guides and seats are fine.
While I was there I paid $400 down payment and so he is not out of pocket when ordering parts.
Should have heads back in around 6 weeks.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
One thing I didn't really clarify was the head shave. I have asked for 10thou but not sure if that will start pushing the comp too much? I want to keep boost as a possibility down the track but probably only if I can find a second hand SC kit for around $1000 including hardware. So high comp is not my aim.
Also I'm getting some mixed opinions on valve springs. Machinist told me with 1.9s I should go the $300 Crow springs but one or two people on here have said only need stock, $120 set. Me not wanting to have potential problems said go with the $300 set but man that is a lot for springs.
Must say for the amount I have thrown into the build overall I am wishing it was worth more. Best I can insure my ute for is $5.5k. My concern is I reckon I am already over $6k in and another $2k Will be going into the engine by the time the heads go on. My worry is some peanut runs into me and I can only get $5.5k if it's a write off..... Not that, that will stop me spending coin on the old jalopy but it still plays on your mind... hahahahaha

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
To do a valve job properly you need to cut the main angle then throat it back in as you've just changed the seating depth then the bowl job blends the cut edges from the throat cutter back into the port. They don't do this from factory and is the single most biggest flow gain to a engine bar none. A guy pumping out heads in Campbell town is going to make it worse than factory.

As for compression don't worry boost doesn't mind compression. Low compression is a myth. You can run 10:1 on 8-10psi without much hassle on 98ron you can go 12:1 on e85 and pump boost up to 15psi.