Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Seems a bit strange your having these issues after you had your new heads fitted? You sure the guy that fitted them hasn’t damaged something (electrical) in the process?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Or just an old brittle wiring loom that's been moved about. We are talking about a 25yo+ ute here.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm going to have to repair a fair bit of cables under the bonnet. I just noticed the oil sender harness is quite short and has two plugs. I will see if I can source one and get the cables replaced in it. The three colours should be stocked at the auto electrician so should be fairly straight forward to fix.

Regarding the oil sender I think I might have figured it out. All the oil that squirted through the cables, unsheathed the one red wire that was soldered and taped and not joined using a solder joiner. It had extra tape on it near the plug, which made me not see there was an exposed lead underneath.

Yes the 26 year old cables have seen better days. They seem ok where conduit has kept them away from excess heat but the short leads that go to various sensors, where there is not even tape covering them has become pretty brittle, especially on the flex points. I'm thinking I might have to do what I can myself, like replacing conduit. I may be going back to the plan of sourcing a damaged harness and using the plugs and any colour coded cables that can no longer be easily bought, like the ones with stripes. But I'm not climbing underneath at the wrecker anymore it's just too risky. I'm not sure how he gets away with it really, probably because it Rural Tas, hahahahaha.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Oil sender looks sorted for now until I can get it fixed properly, it didn't come on. However I have a problem with it not dropping back to second still. If I nail it it stays in third and throws a CEL. Now the gears are not shifting at all just revs out and stays in first. I pulled the engine fuse and am hoping it resets. Either way I won't be able to go WOT or expect it to drop to second when I want it too. Hopefully the reset gets me mob again or it's a flatbed to an auto electrician 30 minute away when they can fit me in.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Oil sender issue seems to be sorted. A reset has sort of fixed the gears not shifting. It still won't shift down from third into second but at least it shifts up. Hopefully I keep it on the road until I can get it fixed. with the frayed cables on the TPS I can't even get it tested so it's potentially just a matter of time before it's on a flatbed again. If I knew it was an issue with the sensor itself I'd go to Repco and have it swapped. However, I don't know if the issue is wiring related. I don't have a known working one so can't even try that. Plus Repco frustratingly don't stock these, so I have to go in pay for it and then wait until it comes in, then go back to return the faulty one.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep oil sender issue sorted. Pulled TB off twice this eve, man I can get it off and on again quick. I reckon I can swap the TPS in 15 mins or less now. I tried an old one that I had hoped might have come good, but soon as putting the ute into gear it clunked in like a bastard. So TB off again and two week old TPS put back on. I checked the harness and taped it up really well, ensuring no wires could possibly ground or touch each other. Just went for a test drive and shifted no problems. Gave it a stab, straight away got CEL and then had no gear shifts for about two minutes. Nurse it back home and it started to shift again but rough. Have now again pulled the engine fuse and am resetting the PCM.
I think all I can do is replace the near new TPS and see if that sorts it. If not next step will be an auto electrician. No luck there it's probably a damaged trans and will require some major work. With a 4 - 5 month wait to get in and have it fixed, that's providing he is booking in new jobs.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Still sounds like the TPS is out of adjustment. If it's throwing a CEL with giving it a boot it might suggest it's hitting 5 volts which will set a TPS fault code and stuff up the shifts.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Still sounds like the TPS is out of adjustment. If it's throwing a CEL with giving it a boot it might suggest it's hitting 5 volts which will set a TPS fault code and stuff up the shifts.
Been reading up on JC and according to posts by Black VX who quoted the FSM the TPS is not adjustable. I even tried moving it what I could which was about 1/2 a mm of slop in the screw holes and no difference. I have fitted three or four TPS in this ute and never had high voltage issue. Every time the TPS has failed it has been stuck in what I think is first.

I just hope driving it without any shifts the other week to get out of the city before calling the flatbed hasn't damaged the trans?

I actually thought it wasn't right soon after replacing it, before the engine came out but I just didn't think much of it, I thought I was imagining it. It wasn't until I wanted to test out the new heads out in the country away from traffic I got a CEL, followed up with shifting issues..

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Going to head down the north west coast tomorrow and grab a new sensor. It looks like another Tassie store has one in stock. We will be staying overnight so won't get it fitted until Sat late arvo most likely. Hopefully the issue is just a faulty sensor, even though its less than three weeks old. Having had plenty of newish sensors fail on the ute, I think the faulty from factory part is probably the most likely scenario, at least it's probably the first thing I have to try, because anything more will start becoming expensive real quick. Plus replacing the part is the only thing I can do myself, hahaha