Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Wouldn't surprise me if it’s a quality issue with the sliding finders of the TPS.

It‘s probably just cheaply made stuff without the vehicle manufacturer’s oversight to ensure product quality. Delphi probably doesn’t care making a low quality part on a low volume TPS for some old vehicle that rusted on diehard fans want to keep running :(

Maybe the solution is adapting a throttle body or even the sliding fingers/resistor slide parts from a modern vehicle into your old ute’s TB...

Anyway, here’s a video of what may be at play (7.00 mark if you don’t want to watch it all)

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Found out the problem...... It was something that you wouldn't think possible. Two brand new Delphi sensors, both faulty.... I pulled it off again and thought bugger it I will try the old no name one from the wagon, which has sat under a tonneau cover on the ground on an old TB that was going rusty. Put it on no CEL and no gear shift problems. I can sink the boot and not get a CEL either, go figure......???? A no name one that has been wet from lying on the ground and it still works, yet two new Delphi's no good....
That does not surprise me. Original equipment was designed and manufactured to last, not to throw away and replace regularly to generate continuing revenue. Also, I think some of the sellers on eBay source their supplies from manufacturer's skips.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have bought from Rockauto in the past and they have been great. I'm just not sure if the electronic parts are the same as Australian made cars. There is a Buick in the US that has a similar engine just hesitant to pay a bucket load of freight on the part that doesn't fit.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
On another note ute died on my way to work today. Had to park it on the street and wait for a bus. Not sure if it will fire up when I get back to it or if its another flatbed.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You are buying cheap Chinese parts what do you expect? The days of old holdens coming to an end unfortunately. Same reason lots of us moved on from the commie ute, you get sick of working on it all the time especially when you aren't putting ome quality parts back on you don't get reliability. for the first 10 years of a cars life most of us might lift the bonnet and check the oil once between services about all it needs.
So would we all but, we are all too tight to buy them, probably why they no longer exist hence why lots of us brought new cars. If I could still buy old oem parts, Id still drive my HZ tonner and my vk but they both ended up with the similar problems your are having now. Aftermarket parts Id replaced failing weekly.
Starting to sound like you are becoming pretty negative about old Holdens. Maybe it's time you move to Ford mods.com or at least stop replying on my build page if you don't have something helpful to say.....

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Have you checked voltage range at full throttle.1/2 throttle & closed to see if within specs?

Just might be fitment issue & maybe elongate holes then tighten it down if correct spot with readings on multimeter

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have you checked voltage range at full throttle.1/2 throttle & closed to see if within specs?

Just might be fitment issue & maybe elongate holes then tighten it down if correct spot with readings on multimeter
Nah, I haven't but considering the TPS from the junk pile works I'm leaving it alone and will get money back or another replacement. Might even get garage to fit new TPS in case it's me messing up the part, rendering it useless.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hoping to get the into a garage today after work. All going to depend on whether it starts or flatbed. If need truck then garage will probably be shut while I wait for it to arrive.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

This is why I was asking about the pinouts earlier. If we can guide him through seeing what the voltages are.

Paperclip bent into a suitable shape into the back of the plug while it’s running and a multimeter to see what the voltages are doing.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Geez, seems like you have a bad case of the Gremlins on that Ute.

Is anoying (to see on my side) that you are getting all this drama after spending that much coin.

I would help from here but not sure if a 3800 TPS from the US cars is going to work. Even if they look the same, the values might be different. I would if I you were at driving distance.