Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
WTF is Delphi Technologies????????????

Delphi branded stuff I've been getting is red/white logo on black background...only says "Delphi" Made in USA(?)

Most of vp ute issues were fake brand shite...in the end only bought from Bebco or local holden dealership depending on price.Next time I'm at Bebco I'll have to ask Dr Terry what genuine brand & box suppose to look like.

Ps...Paperclip trick is a cool idea....gonna have to steal that idea,so much easier/simpler that way.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Delphi US or Mexico is very difficult to find now. Repco don't stock it and obviously eBay don't. Delphi went belly up a couple of years ago and most of it operations were moved to China.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Delphi US or Mexico is very difficult to find now. Repco don't stock it and obviously eBay don't. Delphi went belly up a couple of years ago and most of it operations were moved to China.
Delphi was spun off by GM is 1999 and filed for chapter 11 protection in 2005 before exiting bankruptcy in 2008. GM picked up the steering systems division and some plants while the “toxic“ parts of the business were left for others to loose from (Delphi Holtings LLC).

GM then did the same with itself in 2009 and left the “toxic GM“ to the pension groups and others while the “new GM“ was heralded as being great again by its Chiefs (thieves?) :rolleyes:

It’s all irrelevant when all you want are reliable parts for your car... but it’s why I feel VF owners will be in the same dilemma in 10 years...

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Can still find parts if got decent supplier...if it becomes NLA they'll usually have or find backup brand with warranty or end end with shite reputation workshops won't deal with.

GM screwed Holden over many years ago making them double/triple price of parts to help relieve debts....before that happen I used to buy everything I could from Holden Dealerships with trade/business discounts then go pick up at storage warehouse nearby.Feels like a different lifetime now.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Update on the ute. The garage has had a listen to it cranking and seems to think it sounds like a CAS issue. He is hopefully going to run some tests today or tomorrow. I am wondering if the issues was it most likely getting a fair bit of oil over it, which has damaged the housing maybe from a combination of oil and heat together?

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
[no. yes. no. shush. *bites tongue* ouch. yes. no. no. yes. must]
Can't stop myself.
Garage guy must have god-like super power hearing if he can diagnose this intermittent fault which has plaguing you for how long just by listening to your ute crank over. Either that or he has been in close proximity to it and listening to it crank over far too often and may be forming some sort of emotional attachment to it (or perhaps the contents of your wallet).

Sorry, losh, your post just kicked off my sick sense of humour and flashed an image of Frankie Howerd in overalls hamming it up around your ute.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@losh1971, does your mechanic send you flowers on your birthday if he’s screwing you on price, and bullshitting in the process, he should as a minimum do something nice on your special day :p

On a more serious note, heat and oil does kill cam and crank angle sensors, sort of... It’s especially the case with these sensors since they rely on inductive pickup.

The oil muck surrounding them (and the timing cog) will attract any metallic particles floating about (from pulleys and belts rubbing on metalwork, etc). Such metallic muck then messes with the inductive pickup...

If your CAS has muck on it, scrap it off and put it on one side of a thin bit of plastic... grab an old HDD and dismantle it and pull the strong neodymium magnet within.... Then place the magnet on the other side of the plastic and move it around... if the oily crud moves with it, you’re found why the CAS is dying... metal particles upsetting the magnetic fields... (supposedly this was a common issue on some fords)...

So if you engine front is mucky oily metallic crud, clean it well and then sort all oil leaks and any mechanical issues which allow things to rub (causing microscopic metal particles to fling off and get attracted to the sensor sticking to the oil where it shouldn’t). Do this before installing another sensor, else you’ll have the same issue...

(ps: the muck doesn’t always kill the sensors, sometimes it just messes with their signal.)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm not sure if the sensor is covered in oil but when the oil pressure switch blew oil went everywhere and I assume in and around the balancer seal casing because it was running out with a degreaser for days. Plus the issue mainly seems to have started not long after the oil sender split.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I'm not sure if the sensor is covered in oil but when the oil pressure switch blew oil went everywhere and I assume in and around the balancer seal casing because it was running out with a degreaser for days. Plus the issue mainly seems to have started not long after the oil sender split.
That's why I never clean my engines and leave the dirt, oil and grease to form a protective layer.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That's why I never clean my engines and leave the dirt, oil and grease to form a protective layer.
Lol, I had to clean it, oil was everywhere and dripping all over the ground. Plus I had to go along the dirt that same day. Would have been an oily mud cake by the time I got home.
Didn't use a hose just degreaser and then brake cleaner when I got home.