Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It will nice if I can find black ones now as I think they were black originally. I suspect I might have some home in the shed, since I had two in my parts jar. But won't be home for 10 days to see and I'm now driving around with one grill missing lol.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I was talking to a client at work today and have a name of some woman mechanic that apparently is very good at diagnosing engine noises. I'm going to to look her up and see if she will have a listen to my wierd engine rattle.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nothing special done but I managed to fit the left guard inner this eve, which will protect the vacuum ball. I had a look at the sill panel and I want to paint it and the bottom of the guard. I may or may not get it done over the weekend.

I may need to make a trip to the wreckers or I need to go to the bloke on FB who has a few old Commodores on my way home, but he is a long way whereas the self serve is 10mins up the road. I just need four screws, one bumper-inner guard screw and three mudflap screws, as I want to try and keep what I can original Commodore or decent replica parts on the old ute. Call me anal but original screws or those that look original just seem better to me than something from Bunnings. Plus I like to have matching screws on both sides if there is a left and right side part.

So right now I only have one front mudflap fitted, which should annoy me enough to make me go to the wreckers. I searched in my spares from the wagon but I couldn't find the screws I needed. However, what I did find was two black speed nuts and two black screws, so I can fit the other grill now.

One thing I keep looking at is the bonnet and how it could look a ton better if I painted it. I have more than enough 2k and gear to do the job but I'd like to ask the wife's step dad again for help with getting it done to a standard I'd be happy with. Once I get that done, then I only have the right sill panel and tailgate to pretty up. Trouble is I need a paintless dent bloke to work his magic before I blow it over. But like I said local bloke is not interested and the only other person in Tasmania that does it is over three hours away, in Hobart.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Nothing special done but I managed to fit the left guard inner this eve, which will protect the vacuum ball. I had a look at the sill panel and I want to paint it and the bottom of the guard. I may or may not get it done over the weekend.

I may need to make a trip to the wreckers or I need to go to the bloke on FB who has a few old Commodores on my way home, but he is a long way whereas the self serve is 10mins up the road. I just need four screws, one bumper-inner guard screw and three mudflap screws, as I want to try and keep what I can original Commodore or decent replica parts on the old ute. Call me anal but original screws or those that look original just seem better to me than something from Bunnings. Plus I like to have matching screws on both sides if there is a left and right side part.

So right now I only have one front mudflap fitted, which should annoy me enough to make me go to the wreckers. I searched in my spares from the wagon but I couldn't find the screws I needed. However, what I did find was two black speed nuts and two black screws, so I can fit the other grill now.

One thing I keep looking at is the bonnet and how it could look a ton better if I painted it. I have more than enough 2k and gear to do the job but I'd like to ask the wife's step dad again for help with getting it done to a standard I'd be happy with. Once I get that done, then I only have the right sill panel and tailgate to pretty up. Trouble is I need a paintless dent bloke to work his magic before I blow it over. But like I said local bloke is not interested and the only other person in Tasmania that does it is over three hours away, in Hobart.
Which dent is that you need repaired?

Good you found the speed nuts & screws.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Which dent is that you need repaired?

Good you found the speed nuts & screws.
About 6 or 7 tiny dings no bigger than a 1c piece, plus a small ding underneath the sill panel. I thought about those eBay tools but not confident they would work well enough. I could bog them but I'd rather not when I don't need too.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
About 6 or 7 tiny dings no bigger than a 5c piece, plus a small ding underneath the sill panel. I thought about those eBay tools but not confident they would work well enough.
I have the pdr tools, but haven't attempted to use them yet. When l have plenty of time, l'll sit down & watch a few utube videos, then go & a play with some old panels l have, till l'am semi confident to try the panels on my car. (Something like yours l imagine).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
(Something like yours l imagine).

Yeah most of mine are large paint chips in the tailgate that have what looks like a stone ding in the centre. There was kit going cheap of FB Buy and Sell but it was gone a day or two later.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I suspect there must be more than two people in the state doing PDR but I have searched online and I have only found one in Launceston and one in Hobart. I don't know how to find anyone else doing it as we only have a few JC members in Tas.