Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I went and seen Mr Dingo. He said he can PDR my tailgate. It should be around $165 to have it done. I have a another ding or two in the tub sides but that was going to be another $165 each dent, so I am just going to have the tailgate done for now. This means I can hopefully get the tailgate painted in the next couple of months, depending on finances, or more so, nothing else playing up on the ute in the next few months.
I am also going to book the ute in for the harness repairs in the next week or so, depending if they can get me in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What changed his tune ?
No idea, he seemed quite happy to give me a price and all without me asking as well.
I wonder if he now sees a pretty tidy VR ute, instead of the dull paint, scrappy old thing it was when I went in there a couple of years ago?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
No idea, he seemed quite happy to give me a price and all without me asking as well.
I wonder if he now sees a pretty tidy VR ute, instead of the dull paint, scrappy old thing it was when I went in there a couple of years ago?
I'd guess he felt it would be too costly for you given that you were driving an old beat up ute :eek:
Now he seems dollars were spent on that ute so is happier to take your money :p

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Booked the ute in for the harness repairs. Going in next Tuesday. I have them looking at replacing four plugs and the tail harnesses.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So had a listen to my rattle again this eve. Not sure if it's slightly worse or much the same. Not sure what to do? I am considering getting some Delphi lifters and fitting them myself, maybe Easter weekend. My only concern is if that doesn't fix the noise, have I wasted $250 on lifters or can I still use them on another build? I would likely get a new stage 2 Crow cam if building a new engine. I have heard new cam means new lifters, so they bed in together. Just not sure how important this is?
I could forget it and spend $4k on another engine build I just wonder if it's worth taking a $350 risk on this engine, which has a lot of new parts put in over the last few years.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Re lifters....You are surposed to put new lifters with a new cam...That being said, the new motor I have in my VC I didn't replace the lifters when I put a brand new cam in....I checked all the lifter bases and they had no signs of wear....It is unknown the kays on these lifters So I put the new cam in, with some 2nd hand harden pushrods I got with a mildly ported head, fitted with roller rockers....

So far I have done about 2,000K on this motor spinning it a few times to 6,000 and the occasional 6,500 and so far no noises from the motor...The kays have been a combination of town and highway kays to.....IMA, I have a manual backing this motor, so I have had to go up and down the gearbox a fair few times in those kays at varying RPM's

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm think that if I did fit lifters and the noise remained then I'd probably get more serious about building up the spare engine. But then that means no charger this year and huge cost probably $5k or more installed.

My other choice is I cane it a few times and see if I get any noise at WOT. If after that the noise stays about the same, then maybe I just SC the current engine and see if it lasts. As long as I don't damage my heads I will be ok.

Ideally I'd find a mech who knows how to diagnose the noise without tearing it apart like the last bloke did and come to the conclusion it's most likely a spun cam bearing, but he admitted he really doesn't know. For all I know it could be, spun cam bearing, timing chain or lifter issue or any number of the above...... I just have no idea who I can take it too? I could try seven different mech's and get seven different answers and some will no doubt say they have no idea.....???? I had the same issue when the chain was worn out had a bugger of a time getting a diagnosis and I had to take a risk and have the engine pulled and torn down, $2k later it was sorted but it was a big risk pulling the engine if the chain turned out to be ok, much like pulling the engine out and removing the cam.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'm think that if I did fit lifters and the noise remained then I'd probably get more serious about building up the spare engine. But then that means no charger this year. My other choice is I cane it a few times and see if I get any noise at WOT. If after that the noise stays about the same, then maybe I just SC the current engine and see if it lasts. As long as I don't damage my heads I will be ok.

Ideally I'd find a mech who knows how to diagnose the noise without tearing it apart like the last bloke did and come to the conclusion it's most likely a spun cam bearing, but he admitted he really doesn't know. For all I know it could be, spun cam bearing, timing chain or lifter issue or any number of the above...... I just have no idea who I can take it too? I could try seven different mech's and get seven different answers and some will no doubt say they have no idea.....????

Why even go the S/C route on this engine? Seriously you have been talking about the possibility of upping the antie with power and you have concerns with your current engine....If it was me, I'd get the bottom end of the other engine done....Then get all the supercharger stuff together...From that, when you get a couple of weeks annual leave ready to take, out with your current engine, off with the heads, bolt it all to the new engine and put it back in.....

You'll kill 3 birds with 1 stone...More power, a fresh engine and money in the bank by not wasting unnecessary cash on the old engine, in the hope it doesn't let go....We have all been down this path of chucking new parts at an old engine hoping for miracles....Try and learn from others silly mistakes

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What I'd love to hear is, as annoying as the rattle is, it's nothing to get too concerned about and I will be right to just keep driving it. Or yep buy lifters, fit them and all will be well, no more rattle.

I just have no idea who the best garage is in Launceston with the most knowledge as the only person who came recommended was someone who doesn't seem to exist and I can call the person who gave me the name as they are a client of the service.