Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Definitely seen worse. The bushes on the sway bar link arms are doomed to fail due to the design, by putting the fixed end on the strut body rather than the lower control arm the angle on the link arm changes, if you have anything more than a small amount of steering lock on and hit a decent bump or pothole the bush is hit on an angle. more modern cars use sway bar links with ball joints to eliminate this original design flaw.

Re: Lifters. In an ideal world, new cam, new lifters. On a flat tappet cam (unless you know how to check/prep lifters) this is a must as the lifters do bed into the cam lobe. On our V6 motors we have roller lifters so the rules change a little. New cam/new lifters is still ideal but if the current lifters are in good nic than re-using the lifters on a another cam isn't going to hurt anything.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Replaced the link bushes just now. Below are the old ones. Hoping the knock will be either gone now or greatly reduced.
@vc commodore in your opinion do you think those link bushes are bad enough to cause a knock, worst under brakes?
View attachment 219704

Those are fine I wouldn't have even replaced them.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks Mort, I had hoped that might be the case. I may end up fitting some decent lifters myself, once the house is built and I can access the new shed. Hopefully the noise goes. Unless I get impatient and decide to find a garage to fit them.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Definitely seen worse. The bushes on the sway bar link arms are doomed to fail due to the design, by putting the fixed end on the strut body rather than the lower control arm the angle on the link arm changes, if you have anything more than a small amount of steering lock on and hit a decent bump or pothole the bush is hit on an angle. more modern cars use sway bar links with ball joints to eliminate this original design flaw.

Re: Lifters. In an ideal world, new cam, new lifters. On a flat tappet cam (unless you know how to check/prep lifters) this is a must as the lifters do bed into the cam lobe. On our V6 motors we have roller lifters so the rules change a little. New cam/new lifters is still ideal but if the current lifters are in good nic than re-using the lifters on a another cam isn't going to hurt anything.

You need a special grinder to re-grind lifters as there is a slight convex radius on the lifter end.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Only about $12 For all eight, so cost wise not an issue. I just hate the knocking noise and if this takes care of it, it will be well worth it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Just don't do them up to tight as that makes em blow out quick.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Replaced the link bushes just now. Below are the old ones. Hoping the knock will be either gone now or greatly reduced.
@vc commodore in your opinion do you think those link bushes are bad enough to cause a knock, worst under brakes?
View attachment 219704

Good chance.....The front right and back right ones in the photo looks squished...Did you happen to take note whether there was any gap inbetween the top/bottom of the bush and the washer, especially when the wheel was in the straight ahead position?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Good chance.....The front right and back right ones in the photo looks squished...Did you happen to take note whether there was any gap inbetween the top/bottom of the bush and the washer, especially when the wheel was in the straight ahead position?
Couldn't really tell if there was a gap. There was definitely a gap when the wheel is off the ground. But I fitted the bushes with the wheels on the ground. The squished ones were on the top. Not sure if that means anything?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Best you have a close look at those bushes....1 is squashed as you can see the centre is higher than the outer....1 is squsahed on an angle....2 have the centres that are reemed out...Only 1 of those bushes looks in reasonable condition where the centre isn't reemed out and the centre is level with the rest of the bush

The 2 bushes that are squished along with the bushes that are reemed in the centre would allow movement...It's that movement that causes the noise

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Couldn't really tell if there was a gap. There was definitely a gap when the wheel is off the ground. But I fitted the bushes with the wheels on the ground. The squished ones were on the top. Not sure if that means anything?

Gaps generally cause movement, which transfers to a noise....It's the link pin itself that hits the bracketary which causes a rattle, if that makes sense....

As Mort has suggested, be careful not to tighten them right up....As long as the washer is tight against the bush and the bush has it's shape when tightened up, it should help them live a little longer....I also recommend you can the thicker nylothane branded link pins, as the link pin itself is thicker than OE..