Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So fitted the new link bushes yesterday and it made a massive difference to the knocking. I can now only hear a knock over corrugations. The bitumen roads in the certain spots, on my way back from work, mainly under brakes didn't knock this eve. It was definitely worth the $12 worth of bushes and an hour of my time, thanks @vc commodore .

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got the ute back from the auto electrician. Good news and not so good news. They were able to repair the TPS plug and tail harness. However they couldn't get any plugs for the cam sensor, or oil sender. So all I could have done is the the new AC Delco TPS fitted and the TPS harness repaired and plug replaced. Unfortunately they couldn't disassemble any of the plugs, so I need all new ones. I now have to order some through eBay and go back. Having said that the new Gen TPS is so good, it's now no longer revving out when I take off before it shifts up. Hopefully I can test the ute with WOT and not have problems.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
You maybe able to find what your looking for at this link?

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I just ordered a cam sensor plug and a knock sensor plug from eBay. Got the two for about $18 including freight. I still need a oil pressure plug but that one is about $25 from the above site Lex posted and about the same on eBay. I'm in no hurry now that the TPS plug and harness is sorted. Plus labour will be another $150, like it was to fit the TPS and new plug, so I might hold off since the main issue is now fixed.

I have the ute booked in for PDR in three weeks time so need to try and not spend too much coin, as I have other things to pay for over the coming weeks. I'd probably be fine but just in case. I'm still waiting for the bill for the shed and I also need to figure out what to do about a retaining wall in the cut next to my new shed. Just don't want to run myself short lol....

Plus the annoying cold start lifter tic is starting to drive me nuts, which means I may end up getting so annoyed that I buy a new set and have someone fit them and that will take precedence over a couple of wiring issues that aren't really a problem right now......hahahahaha

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
View attachment 219501

As you can see it has a slight dome on top and a taper underneath.
Looks exactly like some of the ones holding the grille and other under-bonnet plastics on my old VK Berlina wagon, also seem to remember seeing those on some early interiors (with chrome pressed washers for the countersink?).

MrVR263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore ute
I just ordered a cam sensor plug and a knock sensor plug from eBay. Got the two for about $18 including freight. I still need a oil pressure plug but that one is about $25 from the above site Lex posted and about the same on eBay. I'm in no hurry now that the TPS plug and harness is sorted. Plus labour will be another $150, like it was to fit the TPS and new plug, so I might hold off since the main issue is now fixed.

I have the ute booked in for PDR in three weeks time so need to try and not spend too much coin, as I have other things to pay for over the coming weeks. I'd probably be fine but just in case. I'm still waiting for the bill for the shed and I also need to figure out what to do about a retaining wall in the cut next to my new shed. Just don't want to run myself short lol....

Plus the annoying cold start lifter tic is starting to drive me nuts, which means I may end up getting so annoyed that I buy a new set and have someone fit them and that will take precedence over a couple of wiring issues that aren't really a problem right now......hahahahaha
At least your slowly getting on top of the little problems mate hope you don't go insane before you sort your ticking problem.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
At least your slowly getting on top of the little problems mate hope you don't go insane before you sort your ticking problem.
Too late as you need a certain level of insanity to even start to restore an old car :p:p:p

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Too late as you need a certain level of insanity to even bother polishing a turd :p:p:p

Here you go, fixed it for you...... hahhahahahaha

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Here you go, fixed it for you...... hahhahahahaha
Haha, that’s just one of the many phase of restorers disease you’ve going through :p

I like your model of ute :cool:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Seriously thinking of having a new set of Johnson lifters fitted to see if the engine rattle goes in my bus. I have the spare coin to buy the parts but I would love to find a capable mechanic to tell me if he suspects the noise is lifters or not? I'm a little annoyed at myself for not just ordering a set when the manifold off a few weeks ago and having them replaced. Think I was just so annoyed that I had been possibly sold junk and was thinking surely new parts can't be the problem. But if past experience is anything to go by there are definitely decent parts and poor parts and some are much the same price.