Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have spoken to the assessor and its pretty much official, the ute is a write-off. I am just waiting now for the pay out. I bought the ute back and will park it in my new shed, while I decide if I will keep it for spares or part it out.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I can't decide what to do. Financially I'm probably best to part it out as I already have leads with people wanting parts. I could sell it as is but I don't know what someone would be willing to pay. I had hopes of finding another VR or VS and doing the swap but finding one in ok condition is not easy, they are either really exi or just junk heaps.
I just don't know if I want to spend 100hrs parting it out? Trouble is I have a lot in it, and money wise, parting it out makes the most economical sense.
My concern is that I start parting it out and then along comes a VR or VS ute in decent condition that just needs what I already have.
The other thing is I don't have to cancel reg I don't think, due to its age. This means technically I should be able to get third party property and a wheel alignment and drive it for a bit.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Hard one to know what to advise... if it was me, I’d be inclined to draw a line under the whole thing and take the money and move on to something else. However, it’s easy for me to suggest that as I don’t have the time and emotion invested in to that particular car.

Also, the cost of cars is crazy at the moment. Definitely not the best time to be looking for a bargain.

I’m very pleased that you have a good agreed-value on your policy, so that’s definitely a plus. However, buying a replacement after a total loss is always a pain, especially as you don’t really have much control over the timing.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
And that's what is painful, the time I put into it, getting it from a bomb to something pretty nice. And now having to let it go as is, or strip it down and feel the pain of dismantling what was becoming a nice utè. If it was someone else's car there would be no attachment. If I was a money man I would only see dollars to be made and not a busted up project. In the end it's a car and cars that get driven often end up getting carved up to make a new car, still not easy seeing all my hours labor destroyed in a 30 second incident.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
My sincere condolences to you dear Sir.

I know how invested you were in it both financially and more so emotionally. Make sure that you don't let that MC go and just empty it and store it away as I know you are going to find another ute here on the mainland and take it back down to Tassie with you.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So I can't decide what to do. Financially I'm probably best to part it out as I already have leads with people wanting parts. I could sell it as is but I don't know what someone would be willing to pay. I had hopes of finding another VR or VS and doing the swap but finding one in ok condition is not easy, they are either really exi or just junk heaps.
I just don't know if I want to spend 100hrs parting it out? Trouble is I have a lot in it, and money wise, parting it out makes the most economical sense.
My concern is that I start parting it out and then along comes a VR or VS ute in decent condition that just needs what I already have.
The other thing is I don't have to cancel reg I don't think, due to its age. This means technically I should be able to get third party property and a wheel alignment and drive it for a bit.

Won't be able to align it with a bent rail.....So just drive it as is and be wary of how it actually drives now

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
1617864311311.png

To the ute and the trials and tribulations in this thread relating to it...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
My sincere condolences to you dear Sir.

I know how invested you were in it both financially and more so emotionally. Make sure that you don't let that MC go and just empty it and store it away as I know you are going to find another ute here on the mainland and take it back down to Tassie with you.

All due respect but wouldn't it be better to store it with fluid in it? Curiosity question

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Won't be able to align it with a bent rail.....So just drive it as is and be wary of how it actually drives now
I think he might be able to get it a little better. I will have a chat to My Car. I just don't want to trash near new tyres. I'm not even sure if it can be legally driven once they log it a a repairable write off.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I think he might be able to get it a little better. I will have a chat to My Car. I just don't want to trash near new tyres. I'm not even sure if it can be legally driven once they log it a a repairable write off.

The caster will be cactus with the bent rail....Caster is non-adjustable.....The best thing you can do is, see if someone has some crappy wheels with just legal tyres and run with that....

If anyone aligns it, it will show they are shonky...ie just out to lighten your wallet....

I don't think it can be driven once it is written off as well.....