Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losing Coolant???

bigolredbeard

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VT SS
Hey guys just wondering if anyone is able to help me out. Im new to the 5L owners club and still working things out.

I recently purchased my dream car: a 1997 VT SS Commodore. As with all second hand cars i buy I've done an oil change, replaced and tightened all the belts, and im in the process of getting everything together to do a coolant flush and change the transmission fluid.

Ive recently noticed that im going through a lot of coolant (about 1L p/week) but its not leaking out anywhere that i can see clearly like on the ground after i park it up. Also in the last week or so the check engine light comes on and stays on for about 30 seconds when i start the car but goes away and doesn't come on again whilst I'm driving... hmmm confused...

Anyway, any help you guys can provide would be much appreciated. Cheers

Oh and btw whatever anyone does DO NOT buy a a Holden Viva. I got one for my missus one and it lasted 143kms. Thats not 143000 kms but 143. Flat. Replacing the motor in that this weekend lol

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Suggest call into a radiator place for a pressure test, might find a leak.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Does ur front window fog up when using the heater on the demisters at all? do the carpets seem dry in the front footwells?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Make sure all your radiator and heater hoses are nice and tight. After you have left the car overnight, have a look around the inlet manifold on top of the engine. Leaks from the inlet manifold will sometimes pool on top of the engine and then evaporate when the engine has heated up. Also you need to display your error codes to see why the check engine light is coming on. Link below:

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307

JmL300993

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ sedan sv6
Is there a chance the thermostat and overflow bottle are having issues? Maybe a leak in the overflow an radiator cap, just a stab in the dark tho just an easy check

Vt v6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6
If you are drinking a 1 litre a week of coolant, I highly suggest learn how to pull the 5l apart and replace the head gaskets and inlet manifolds along with all gaskets and having the heads machined and blocked scrapped clean and cooling system flushed cleaned, buy a new thermostat 10 dollers, with the engine light get the codes checked, I'd personally just replace all sensors besides the knock sensors, crank sensor and cam all others like 02's, pcv valve,tps, iac valve, coolant sensor and fuel filter replaced, do all that and I think ull have a sweet running 5l.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
^^^ may as well just buy a complete new engine and call it good eyy......

I'd say intake manifold gaskets are the most likely culprits if there isn't an external leak.

The real question is what didn't the previous owner tell you when he sold it (or why he was selling it)?.........

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
The real question is what didn't the previous owner tell you when he sold it (or why he was selling it)?.........

Because than it would still be his problem, and not OP's

D

devilly

if no leaks anywhere check the exhaust for smoke or moisture.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
if no leaks anywhere check the exhaust for smoke or moisture.

isn't moisture in the exhaust a good thing? or do u mean excessive steam from the exhaust?

I have just done my manifold gaskets on the l67 boy was that fun and they were ####ed with only 112K on the clock haha. Now that I think a bout it I did notice the exhaust took longer for the moisture in its fumes to disappear once the car got to running temp so this would be well worth checking.