Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

losing it with this gearbox

VZSSCHASE

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6l
i have re plumbed the cooling and placed the cooler closer to the radiator infront of the air condenser and have run the lines through the radiator to the cooler, so I have the feed line to bottom radiator top radiator to bottom cooler top cooler to return to transmission,i have setup a 16" thermos fan infront of cooler, I dropped the oil and checked condition since I only put the new stuff the other day and looks fine went for drive and the temp gauge still got hot it changed from 90'c to 135'c then back to 110'c to 145'c instantly and flickers, I have no idea why it gets so hot so quick even with the cooler and fan setup,who knows maybe its always been that temp with that stall now that I have a gauge its scary to see what it reads.its not manualised,has stage 2 shift kit and pressures been boosted on valve body for harder shifts,i normally leave it drive even when I race with power button on
shift points change around 6800rpm and have no issues in the past,even driving on street or highway sits close to 2700rpms on 100kmh diff gears are 3.9s, what size cooler should I have? im not sure what more to do my other option is use this gearbox as a spare box with the new parts it has and buy a b&m street/strip transmission or hughes performance ones and see how that goes,cause im pretty much over this box coming in and out all the time.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
6800rpm is pretty high if pump mods and piston springs haven’t been upgraded. If the springs/pump haven’t been upgraded you’ll have trouble burning out the clutches over 5500rpm or so.

Sounds like that temp gauge needs testing...

Before buying on off th shelf replacement, id send your trans to somebody who knows them really well

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
Does the converter lock up? Temp switch will disable 4th when over heated. Reverts to third and should lock the conv to lower temp then engage 4th when cooler.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Does the converter lock up? Temp switch will disable 4th when over heated. Reverts to third and should lock the conv to lower temp then engage 4th when cooler.
As far as I was aware the temp switch only prevents the converter locking up when the trans is too cold. Locking the converter and going into the overdriven gear should lower the effects of fluid friction even more.

I'm not sure I'm right though, definitly no expert on these but that was just my understanding

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
i have setup a 16" thermos fan infront of cooler

After about 30kph or 40kph the fans don't help (as in they won't outflow the air that is being pushed through just by the speed of the car), they might even block airflow being in front in that case so you'd be better off putting them behind.

Also, where are you taking your temperature reading from? Like how do you have the sensor set up too?

VZSSCHASE

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6l
that's exacatly what it does, yeah its a lock up converter dominator 4000,my temp gauge is in the bottom deep pan sump on the side about half way down the sump.thanks for the output hopefully I will this out soon,with the thermos fan this is how its setup the engine has the factory twin thermos at front radiator air condenser that's fairly big anyway if anything that would be blocking air,trans cooler thermos fan infront of that,wonder if I just take the out the air condenser out.everything in the gearbox has been either upgraded or strengthened to the point the transmission shop cant think of anything else to do with it or think it could be,he is a reputable and built many gearboxes so it has him stumped to.im thinking of changing gauge with a needle type rather the digitial reading to.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
After about 30kph or 40kph the fans don't help (as in they won't outflow the air that is being pushed through just by the speed of the car), they might even block airflow being in front in that case so you'd be better off putting them behind.

Also, where are you taking your temperature reading from? Like how do you have the sensor set up too?

Thermo fans are designed to push air through at lower speeds.....It's at higher speeds, air flow comes into effect with cooling, rendering the fans unnecessary....So I think you're off the mark with your comment.

Oh and make sure the fans are blowing from the outside to inside the engine bay

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Thermo fans are designed to push air through at lower speeds.....It's at higher speeds, air flow comes into effect with cooling, rendering the fans unnecessary....So I think you're off the mark with your comment.

Oh and make sure the fans are blowing from the outside to inside the engine bay

I didn't say they weren't, I only said they were effective up to a point. Some people might have had other experiences with that point, but in my experience 40ish KPH is correct (and yes, I've gone for a 20km drive without any fans in city traffic, so yes I'm totally off the mark).

As for push through vs. suck through, if the fan is butted up against the radiator suck through doesn't have any chance at impeding air flow at high speed, again from my experience of the above. Also guessing that's why a lot of factory thermos are behind the radiators/aircon condensors instead of in front.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
with the thermos fan this is how its setup the engine has the factory twin thermos at front radiator air condenser that's fairly big anyway if anything that would be blocking air,trans cooler thermos fan infront of that,wonder if I just take the out the air condenser out

Don't take the condenser out if you ever want aircon again. It's not uncommoon for people to just route the trans cooler to behind the bumper off to the side. TBH that would be easier and more of a sure thing anyway than pulling out the condensor.

Last edited:

VZSSCHASE

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6l
does it sound like my converter is playing up even though I had it repaired? as I was driving it today and got to about 100c and dropped to 98c but when I put my foot down the temp went to 150c straight away then dropped back to 100c when I took foot off the pedal,i still had all gears and shifted nicely just stressing about this gauge ever since I installed it.i have a obd2 scan tool actron but when I went to view live data I couldn't see any trans temp reading or anything to do with transmission how do you read the transmission data on those scan tools?