Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losing my steering wheel controls

adclawrence

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Calais 3.6
Morning,

Since the day I got my VE Calais (Series 1, non V) I've noticed that the left hand controls (change track/preset on steering wheel) scroll wheel only sometimes works, also the station or track I'm on in the digital speedo window sometimes doesn't appear.

If I spam the TRIP button on the steering wheel it seems to wake up and I get my track info back with the scroll wheel controls. And then a few minutes later they will disappear again and the controls go dead.

Volume scroll wheel always works, but when the other side stops working I don't get any volume information on the trip computer display. It's like it loses communication but not entirely.

Can anyone shed any light?

Cheers.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Morning,

Since the day I got my VE Calais (Series 1, non V) I've noticed that the left hand controls (change track/preset on steering wheel) scroll wheel only sometimes works, also the station or track I'm on in the digital speedo window sometimes doesn't appear.

If I spam the TRIP button on the steering wheel it seems to wake up and I get my track info back with the scroll wheel controls. And then a few minutes later they will disappear again and the controls go dead.

Volume scroll wheel always works, but when the other side stops working I don't get any volume information on the trip computer display. It's like it loses communication but not entirely.

Cheers.

Probably some sort of drink has been spilled on it. A bit of contact cleaner will likely fix it or clean it with isopropal alcohol.

Holden_Girl01

Reaction score
Members Ride
My09 VE OMEGA
Morning,

Cheers.[/QUOTE

Have you checked your display settings to see what they are on ? I know in my VE I have a display setting that lets me set how I want it to show

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Just replace the controls, requires steering wheel removal (and airbag).

adclawrence

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Calais 3.6
Just replace the controls, requires steering wheel removal (and airbag).
I'm trying to figure out if it's definitely the controls though.

When they randomly stop working, my radio station no longer appears on the cluster. So it's like the head unit isn't communicating with the cluster or something.

adclawrence

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Calais 3.6
I'll give the controls a clean and get in the grooves with some isopropyl alcohol.

If that doesn't solve it, I'll just live with it. Seems like a communication issue rather than a switch problem since the rotary dials always work when browsing menus on the trip computer and the stereo is the thing not responding.