Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losing our tradesmen

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Who would recommend to their children to be a tradesman? I sure as **** wouldn't I've been a tradesman for 25 years none of my mates are happy either. Sit on your arse be a been counter they seam to be happy . Not enough rewards for working your arseoff and getting covered in **** everyday don't worry that everything you do must be correct if you fucksomething up people could die . Along with an hour free overtime every day.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I was an apprentice fitter and machinist in the 70s. Like afstruct i was taught to sharpen drills and we were not only marked on the skill but you had to complete it in a certain time limit. If you didn't know how to do it the correct way to sharpen them you could make the hole bigger. We also had various templates of different shapes which we had to turn down on a lathe . Don't forget that this was the 70s and we didn't punch the settings into a computer then sit back and let the machine do all the work.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Who would recommend to their children to be a tradesman? I sure as **** wouldn't I've been a tradesman for 25 years none of my mates are happy either. Sit on your arse be a been counter they seam to be happy . Not enough rewards for working your arseoff and getting covered in **** everyday don't worry that everything you do must be correct if you fucksomething up people could die . Along with an hour free overtime every day.
Get another job 25 years of misery its time you stop the bleed and find some happiness.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
I'd say that the reason why people aren't picking up the trades is there's this societal expectation that in order to succeed you need to go to Uni. Now, I did go to uni for about 3/4 of a course, and I can tell you, unless you're aiming to be an engineer, doctor, lawyer or scientist, there's really no need to go to uni.

I also blame the media. I mean, I studied that ****, I know the whole purpose of modern media is to split society into groups to make it easier to sell them ideas. Ever since 2016, when this whole IdPol thing went overboard, we have SJWs on both sides of politics fighting over each other, thinking that for some reason they're victims. Those who have their faces buried in the Australian think they're being discriminated against for being white, those who bury their noses in Vice (owned by the same company as the Oz) think that Straight White Men are the source for all their problems. When I called both sides of the media cycle on this bullshit when I was in uni, I got rage from pretty much everyone except one lecturer... Who knew exactly what the **** was going on. At that point, I dropped out of uni and got a full-time job in my field. Still work there to this day.

The media's job is to give people a distraction, to make people think they're a victim of some sort so they can be more easily sold to. Truth be told, the death of tradies isn't because people are losing faith in the trades, the reason is that people feel that putting on an apprentice will hurt them and said apprentices feel they're owed the world for being able to just sharpen a tool. Dude. You're a greenhorn, of course you're going to get paid jack for literally sweeping the shop floor, and your shitty boss isn't doing you any good by only focusing on his profits. There's more to be made than money. Craftsmanship is infinitely valuable.

I agree, Modern universities/educational institutions are all about checking boxes and passing as many students as possible, The whole point of unis is to make a profit. But keep in mind that this is also true for people taking on apprentices. They think that they're going to get the perfect person when they take on an apprentice. Of course you're not. That dude's going to know jack **** about rebuilding diffs. That's why you need to teach them. You need to be a leader, and give them a good reason to follow you. When you pour time into a person, you're going to get money in return eventually.

The only way we're going to solve this **** is if we start to see leaders in the industry take people on and train the next generation of craftsmen, and for those kids to understand that yes, you will fail. No, you are not special. The only way to become exceptional is to be exceptional. The only way to encourage exceptional people to shine is to help them to become that way. Master craftsmen only became masters because they had masters themselves, and they learnt to get with the time. The modern CNC machinist has more capability than an old-school machinist who manually operated a three-axis bridgeport, but it still takes that bridgeport knowledge to know how to use a CNC.

And for ****'s sake. Be the role model you want your apprentices to be. Don't want them to be pusscakes? Stop being a pusscake yourself.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I'd say that the reason why people aren't picking up the trades is there's this societal expectation that in order to succeed you need to go to Uni. Now, I did go to uni for about 3/4 of a course, and I can tell you, unless you're aiming to be an engineer, doctor, lawyer or scientist, there's really no need to go to uni.

I also blame the media. I mean, I studied that ****, I know the whole purpose of modern media is to split society into groups to make it easier to sell them ideas. Ever since 2016, when this whole IdPol thing went overboard, we have SJWs on both sides of politics fighting over each other, thinking that for some reason they're victims. Those who have their faces buried in the Australian think they're being discriminated against for being white, those who bury their noses in Vice (owned by the same company as the Oz) think that Straight White Men are the source for all their problems. When I called both sides of the media cycle on this bullshit when I was in uni, I got rage from pretty much everyone except one lecturer... Who knew exactly what the **** was going on. At that point, I dropped out of uni and got a full-time job in my field. Still work there to this day.

The media's job is to give people a distraction, to make people think they're a victim of some sort so they can be more easily sold to. Truth be told, the death of tradies isn't because people are losing faith in the trades, the reason is that people feel that putting on an apprentice will hurt them and said apprentices feel they're owed the world for being able to just sharpen a tool. Dude. You're a greenhorn, of course you're going to get paid jack for literally sweeping the shop floor, and your shitty boss isn't doing you any good by only focusing on his profits. There's more to be made than money. Craftsmanship is infinitely valuable.

I agree, Modern universities/educational institutions are all about checking boxes and passing as many students as possible, The whole point of unis is to make a profit. But keep in mind that this is also true for people taking on apprentices. They think that they're going to get the perfect person when they take on an apprentice. Of course you're not. That dude's going to know jack **** about rebuilding diffs. That's why you need to teach them. You need to be a leader, and give them a good reason to follow you. When you pour time into a person, you're going to get money in return eventually.

The only way we're going to solve this **** is if we start to see leaders in the industry take people on and train the next generation of craftsmen, and for those kids to understand that yes, you will fail. No, you are not special. The only way to become exceptional is to be exceptional. The only way to encourage exceptional people to shine is to help them to become that way. Master craftsmen only became masters because they had masters themselves, and they learnt to get with the time. The modern CNC machinist has more capability than an old-school machinist who manually operated a three-axis bridgeport, but it still takes that bridgeport knowledge to know how to use a CNC.

And for ****'s sake. Be the role model you want your apprentices to be. Don't want them to be pusscakes? Stop being a pusscake yourself.
We have enough x uni students with a degree flipping burgers at Maccas..

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

I've been in my trade for at least this long and I'm more than happy to be covered in crap, working my ass off and copping crap from idiots that don't know squat....

Working 1hrs overtime everyday for nicks.....PFFT.....Try working a 50 hour week, getting paid for a 38 hr week....On top of that, getting a phone call at 2 A.M, because someone has a flat tyre and firing up a petrol powered compressor outside some snobs house at that hour and the abuse that follows.

Simple fact is, without them, what the hell are people going to do, if they need a house built, a car repaired or alikes....Take it to the scrap yard and buy a new one? Or buy an established house and hope like heck nothing ever goes wrong?

It seems you didn't think too far ahead before posting

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
On top of that, getting a phone call at 2 A.M, because someone has a flat tyre and firing up a petrol powered compressor outside some snobs house
No noise past 8pm in built up areas by law, so I don't blame them, tell them to put the spare on. If no spare tell them wait till 7am.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No noise past 8pm in built up areas by law, so I don't blame them, tell them to put the spare on. If no spare tell them wait till 7am.

Yep and what happens if some bastard drills all four tyres on your car in the middle of the night and you need to leave for work at 6am?? Yes it happened to me in case you are wondering.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yep and what happens if some bastard drills all four tyres on your car in the middle of the night and you need to leave for work at 6am?? Yes it happened to me in case you are wondering.
That sucks, didn't they have a screwdriver or knife?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute