Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losing radiator coolent on VF Evoke .

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Terry57, part failure curves look like bath tubs.... lots of failures early on in a parts life with a steep drop to little to no failures. That period of little to no failures lasts for a long long time. Then failures start to slowly increase...

So if you replace a part as a precaution, don't discount an early failure of that replacement part because you are at the beginning of the curve...

Its definitely how long is a piece of string territory :p

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Yer, I agree 100 % with that but considering the KLM's on this water pump I'll change it out and take my chances that the new one does not do Poo Poo out in Shitesville.

Yep, that's what I'm going to do.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Yer, that's right also but if you have ever run a business you would consider charging 110 buks an hour for your employees labour is at the bottom end. I'm very surprised Holden Innisfail charge these rates. 145 buks per hour is much closer to industry standard.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It’s nowhere near $110/hr by the time all the context-switching, faffing-about, car-moving etc etc happens.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Urm, well I suppose your right but the same thing would happen in a shop that charges 145 buks an hour or a Merc dealership who charges 180 buks an hour.

So whats your point ????

My shop back in Perth charges me 100 buks an hour and I recon I pay for the Mechanic to go take a shite but that's OK.

He's only human I suppose.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Back on the topic of radiator caps, the dealer is right. Aftermarket caps for the VE VF and probably VZ have been totally shite in my experience. I've bought three for my VE (Yes I'm a slow learner when it comes to radiator caps) because I thought surely it's just a one off... No it wasn't, they're useless! Don't hold pressure.
So I drove it to Holden and bought a genuine cap. Fitted it in the carpark and drove home, perfect and loads of pressure.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Sounds about right to me. The one fitted by the company Who flushed my radiator was after market and lasted all of 14 months if that.

Could of been leaking for months !!! I dunno ?

So what I have learned concerning the VF is to just use OEM parts and pay the extra.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
The moral of the story is It's not worth farting around to save a few buks on parts or Labour.