Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loss of heater fan on low speed 1 and 2 - working on 3 and 4

Gus The Snail

Born to be dizlegzic
Reaction score
ipswich - on the right side of the tracks
Members Ride
VS ute S2 1996
My ute has lost low speed interior fan 1 and 2 , 3 and 4 still blow air , a/c on or off its the same.. no air circulating on fan speed 1 or 2 , but blows air fine on 3 and 4. I have checked fuses and relays under the bonnet ( there is none for it under dash - mine is a series 2 VS ) they were all ok ,Have fitted an new fan speed switch , even swapped the relay for the horn relay next to it ( which i know works ) , but still have no low speed fan. Any ideas?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Fan resistor is busted - top of the heater box under the wiper cowling. Very common issue and there is a how to fix thread some place on here

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
You need to remove the wiper arms and the plastic cowl sheild. There is a small cover to remove to gain access to the resistor pack.
Just get a new 1 from holdens. I replaced mine about 18 months ago, it cost about $40.
Be carefull removing the plastic cowl sheild clips. I have heard of some people ending up cracking their windscreen:cry:

Gus The Snail

Born to be dizlegzic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute S2 1996
are the 2 the same? as in if i get one from the wreckers , will the 3-4 fit in or are they specific as to what they are supposed to run?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

Gus The Snail

Born to be dizlegzic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute S2 1996
cheers hako.. have just finished reading it.. will be off to the wreckers tomorrow for a replacement and a spare

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
The new 1 from holden is different. It doesn't have the wire coils that seem to burn out. It looks like the resistors are now sandwiched between 2 heatsinks.

love the general

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute daily hj gts project
the newer resistors still fit and work though i have the new type in my vr and it works fine

Gus The Snail

Born to be dizlegzic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute S2 1996
Well finally made it to the wreckers and pulled 2 out ( most were already taken ) as i want a spare.. cost me nothing ( cept the $2 entry fee ) , installed it , and hey presto , fan works on low speeds now.. thanx all for helping solve the problem.. now tomorrow i can gas my A/C and throw some tyres on the front!.

p.s i do AC for a job , topping up ac is childs play ;)