Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loss power after cleaning throttle body

Jaimee125

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VY COMMODORE S V6 SERIES 1
Hey all, I’m new to this forum.
Just thought I could get a little insight on a slight issue I’m having with my vy commodore sedan.

I was having trouble starting my vy, someone lead me to believe it could be throttle body or maf sensor, but turns out it was the key which was the last thing I did.... so I though cheap and easy fix for now, changed maf sensor with secondhand one, car started to turn over fine, but not 100% so I took of throttle body and gave it a clean with CRC, she looks nice and shinny now. Made sure the sensors were removed first, nice and carefully. Didn’t damage them at all, sending out the right voltage off a muiltimeter. Put it all back together, triple checked the two hoses off the tb, all is fine. I start it up, all seems fine. Until I’m driving, I hit 60kms and it revs out and feels like it isn’t changing gears over 60kms, losses a great deal of power she just doesn’t kick like it normally does when you put your foot down. Anyone got any suggestions, I’m swamped to what it could be, next step is getting a diagnostic done to see if it is throwing out any codes, check engine light is NOT on for anyone that asks. Idles 100% fine, starts one 100% after replacing key the day after I lost power once re installing clean tb. Any suggestions? Still drives fine, just sluggish to pick up speed quick enough over 60 and revs out way too much...

Jaimee125

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep sure have, as I have read threads about it might take a while and a bit of driving to adjust but been driving 3-4 days now, nothing over 60 cause it sounds terrible, I give it a little kick here and there to see if she has come right, but nothing.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Yep sure have, as I have read threads about it might take a while and a bit of driving to adjust but been driving 3-4 days now, nothing over 60 cause it sounds terrible, I give it a little kick here and there to see if she has come right, but nothing.
Any idea where the noises are coming from?
Maybe you have other problems?

Last edited:

Jaimee125

Reaction score
Members Ride
The terrible sound I’m referring to is how loud the car revs out, there’s no actual unusual noise coming from the engine or components, just the revs over 60kms sounds terrible.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Any chances of you borrowing a known good tps and trying that to see if it helps or buy one?

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
you maybe put a tear in a vaccum hose or left one off

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Concertina section of the inlet pipe can crack over time. Mine broke open after I moved it around.
Don't know if it would cause your problem.

Jaimee125

Reaction score
Members Ride
you maybe put a tear in a vaccum hose or left one off
Triple checked all hoses connected to tb and surrounds, all seems fine. Gonna top up gearbox oil tomorrow and see how it goes. Just strange I put oil in it last week and can’t seem to see an oil leak from under the car but since removing throttle body, oil levels are low.. not sure if it is the issue as i put over over 1lt in a week ago but worth a shot..

Jaimee125

Reaction score
Members Ride
Concertina section of the inlet pipe can crack over time. Mine broke open after I moved it around.
Don't know if it would cause your problem.
Might check it out in morning! :)