Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lost 3rd and 4 th gear - error 36-

Muik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive Series 2
yesterday my vr series 2 lost 3 and 4 th gear got home checked fluid levels, all ok, ran a code check and it came up with 36 - vaccum leak-, would this error cause the car to go into limp mode? Or is there going to be a bigger underlying problem?
Thanks for any help

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If you've also lost reverse the fault will be a busted sun shell in the auto which is very common. Otherwise I'd reset the ECU by pulling the engine fuse for 10 secs and the drive the car and read the codes again.
Re the code 36 - can't help you as to whether it will make the car go to LHM ....maybe if it senses no vacuum it figures that you have no power assistance for the brakes and goes to LHM. Hope this is of some help.
Good Luck.

Muik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive Series 2
still got reverse, starting to think the 3rd and 4th clutch has burnt out, any way too check this?

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
Code 36 won't make your car go in to limp mode, I've had this code since I got the car and the only noticeable ill affect (I think) is a unhappy idle and **** fuel economy. I don't know much about auto's except what I've learnt through mine stuffing up but yeah do what the other fellas said unhook the battery for ten minutes then go for a drive for a few minutes (5-10) and the computer should log new codes that might shed some light.

Muik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive Series 2
fixed vacuum problem still havnt got 3rd and 4th reckon the clutch is gone on them gears, so time for a new tranny

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Read the codes again! - with a bit of luck it will come up with 81 or 82 one of which is shift solenoids in the trans - these will cause it to go to LHM ...a lot cheaper than a reco.

Troy5L

building a lemon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gu patrol td42
isnt limp mode when the gearbox just drives in 4th, and doesnt use the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears....maybe just try and find a cheep second hand one, a mate said he got one from a wreckers for $70

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
In limp home mode the box stays in 3rd...that means it starts and stays in 3rd - drives like its using an elastic band instead of a motor.
However, you can still manually select the other gears.
You might be lucky and pickup a cheap secondhand box but you generally get what you pay for and it's a lot of work wasted just changing the boxes over I reckon.

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
If you treat your gearbox well (IE don't thrash it) and can do the swap yourself I would go for a wreckers gearbox, its luck of the draw but I'd rather fork out $385 for a gearbox with three months warranty before spending 1500-2000 on a reco/new one.

vsiicalais

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6 Storm
In limp home mode the box stays in 3rd...that means it starts and stays in 3rd - drives like its using an elastic band instead of a motor.
However, you can still manually select the other gears.
You might be lucky and pickup a cheap secondhand box but you generally get what you pay for and it's a lot of work wasted just changing the boxes over I reckon.

your right there, my car went into LHM the other week when the alternator packed it in so i had next to no power to keep the car running. I had to drive about 2 km to get home in LHM but even the cyclists on the orad were going faster then me. Glad i didnt have to take off up any hills cause i dont think i could of made it :whistling