Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lot of Great Help and O2 Sensor Problems!

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS
Hi All.

A while back my car was running rich on one bank and lean on the other. Someone shared a post with me on grounding some wires at the ECU to fix this problem. I can't seem to find that info. Anyone know where I can find that?

My car now runs perfect after grounding the wires. I did notice that my fuel system stays in Open loop all the time now. I'm wondering if I should be concerned about that and if it's a result of grounding the wires? Does that make my car run rich all the time?

THanks sooo much!!

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
OL all the time is not good, little rich all the time will eventually coat the pistons in gunk, also if u have a lean issue then nothing will correct it

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
doing the earth shouldnt make it go OL all the time that is another issue or the 02 sensors data are not credible so its staying OL showing there is an issue, or the coolant temp sensor isnt showing the ecu over the set temp for commanding closed loop so then it will stay in OL all the time, all the earth wire fixes is the heater circuit so they heat up quicker, if ur engine has been running for 10 mins they will be hot enough usually within 5 mins is normal so then the issue should go away

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Fair call.
Definitely grounded the right wires?

Link was more just to reference the original question.

Also found a thing where @Immortality did some patch looms at the o2s themselves as another option for grounding them.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There is a wiring booboo in the VS V6 looms were one of the O2 sensors linked an earth for both the sensor and heater circuits, with time this can cause issues.

Re-wiring the ground wires shouldn't cause the PCM to stay in open loop.

A cracked exhaust manifold is quite a common cause for having one bank read rich and another lean, normally the passenger side that goes.

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS
doing the earth shouldnt make it go OL all the time that is another issue or the 02 sensors data are not credible so its staying OL showing there is an issue, or the coolant temp sensor isnt showing the ecu over the set temp for commanding closed loop so then it will stay in OL all the time, all the earth wire fixes is the heater circuit so they heat up quicker, if ur engine has been running for 10 mins they will be hot enough usually within 5 mins is normal so then the issue should go away
I will check the live data and see what the temp the computer says. THanks for that info. Both the O2 sensors were replaced and the coolant temp sensor not long ago when I was having another problem. Will check!

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS
There is a wiring booboo in the VS V6 looms were one of the O2 sensors linked an earth for both the sensor and heater circuits, with time this can cause issues.

Re-wiring the ground wires shouldn't cause the PCM to stay in open loop.

A cracked exhaust manifold is quite a common cause for having one bank read rich and another lean, normally the passenger side that goes.
DOn't think the manifold is cracked as I've not heard any noises but will check anyway!

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Yes... that's it!

Perhaps I did it wrong? I grounded the 3 wires at D14 D16 and A2. I did not loop any of the wires together. Was I supposed too? THanks!

Hey mate, I had to do a re-read of my thread. Those 3 pins need to be grounded to an earth point on the body. I believe I've joined them together then a single wire to body, but either way will work