Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loud bang from interior of car??

Magnum65

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z series sportwagon
Was driving on the highway when a loud bang/explosion went off. Was very loud and seemed to come from the interior of the car. Kind of like the detonators they use on train tracks. I can't find anything obvious. Checked spare tyre, battery. no sign of airbag going off, no warning lights. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Z series sportwagon

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
pretentioners on seatbelts (did you belts go tight) is the car doing anything strange etc,

Magnum65

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z series sportwagon
Nothing other than the noise. Everything seems fine. I'll check the belt.
Thanks.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Was driving on the highway when a loud bang/explosion went off. Was very loud and seemed to come from the interior of the car. Kind of like the detonators they use on train tracks. I can't find anything obvious. Checked spare tyre, battery. no sign of airbag going off, no warning lights. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Z series sportwagon

It's OK it was just your partner making that noise when you were "oogling" the cute chick(s) by the side of the road again.

It's a very common problem but unfortunately its nothing that can be fixed by Holden under new car warranty.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If a pretensioner went off the airbag light would come on.

Magnum65

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z series sportwagon
Hi, have checked the belts but nothing obvious. My left ear took the brunt of the noise from drivers seat. Is the pretensioner system agent the centre console? Whatever it was have had an ear ache all day, bloody dangerous when driving at speed on freeway.
Thanks for your feedback.

nate-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
blown vy v8 ute
Have you checked the tube of the spare . Very unlikely but it could of exploded . Press the shreader in and see if there is still pressure in there

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Pretensioners are part of the seatbelt buckle between seat and centre console, when they fire the buckle is pulled right down and stays that way.

Tyres havent had tubes for years btw.

Only things I can think of that would go bang are all part of the SRS system which would throw the airbag warning. you would probably see a bit of smoke/powder as well.