Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loud clunking noise from rear wheels comes and goes.

karenlh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I am hoping somebody will be able to help me with this problem, I am a female, so no nothing apart from what mechanics etc tell me.

I have a VZ SV6 which has been lowered to its minimum. There is a loud knocking, clunking, clicking noise coming from the rear wheels. It comes and goes and got rid of it for some 8 months by a mechanic putting it up on hoist rotating back wheels and pulling apart traction control button and resetting it. This worked and it went away for about 8 months but is now back. I have taken it to Holden who say it is the drive shaft and to other mechanics who have said its the diff. Again it was jacked up and the same done, ie. wheels rotated, traction button pulled out and reset and it went away again for only a day this time and is back. It sounds like the traction control is trying to engage by itself but can't and it doesn't matter whether the button is off or on it still happens.

It is really really embarrassing you can hear the car coming down the street the noise is so loud.

Can anyone please help with this problem.

Thank you.
Karen

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
All i can suggest is getting a male mate to take it to the mechanics.

karenlh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I have done this and they have been told the same thing.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Did the noise start just after you lowered it?

karenlh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I bought it already lowered from a guy quite high up at Bob Jane who had all the extras done to it. It started making the noise about 8-12 months after I bought it.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
I'd be inclined to trust Holden if they diagnosed it as a driveshaft problem. I am sure that Holden will give you much better results than an internet forum.

mainpath

Reaction score
Website
www.applecollector.com
Members Ride
04 VZ Exec, HX Kingswood, VB Comm
I had the exact same thing happen on my VX Series I Acclaim, you could hear it from far away lol, it happened to me when I had stuff in the boot, going up hill etc.. when the rear of the car was under load, I took it to holden @ Broken Hill as i was driving interstate at the time and
they said it was the drive shaft too, it came and went all the time, i was told that if they lock up you could have a serious accident, I dont know if this is true or not, I just took their word for it.
But i know the noise your referring to.
Does it happen more so at certain speeds or places?

MY VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I had the exact same thing happen on my VX Series I Acclaim, you could hear it from far away lol, it happened to me when I had stuff in the boot, going up hill etc.. when the rear of the car was under load, I took it to holden @ Broken Hill as i was driving interstate at the time and
they said it was the drive shaft too, it came and went all the time, i was told that if they lock up you could have a serious accident, I dont know if this is true or not, I just took their word for it.
But i know the noise your referring to.
Does it happen more so at certain speeds or places?

i have the exact same problem i know exactly when its going to clunk at certain speeds and places. Ive even noticed a different noise coming from the motor when this happens

My mechanic has also assured me that all uni joints, diff mounts, bushings, bearings etc are all in order, id love to know how it sounds from outside the car