Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loud Knock in rear end.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
$350 would be close, $80 for the bearing $250 labour to remove and rebuild shaft. It sounds like an aftermarket bearing may have been used, which 90% of the time are junk, including brand name ones.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
It would be hard to find a 2nd ex ambo tailshaft.

Knock noise could also be exhaust touching.

Take it back, might just be a busted exhaust rubber loop.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ahhh extra long wheel base. In that case it probably needs rebalancing, as yeah hard to find SH. I have seen them blow and it doesn't take much to ruin the balance, a few minutes of knocking is enough.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It was a bad centre bearing, a mechanic has put a new one in completely ripped me off $350 later.
Now when it drives hitting bumps you hear a knock under the car as if the tail shaft is knocking up against something.
Do you think maybe he hasn't balanced the shaft at all? near the joints?

I wouldn't be complaining too loud....It cost me $604 to get the tailshaft rebuilt for my VC

I had the centre bearing, CV, unis, 1 uni joint piece, and rebalanced....Originally I was quoted $550 but that blew out big time

Just for reference...The tailshaft has a centre bearing and a C.V....The C.V is actually the piece that has 6 allen key bolts holding the whole tailshaft together and does cause vibrations when it starts to clap out..:)

Only reason I mention this is, I ordered a centre bearing and when I collected it, it wasn't the piece I was after.....So this might help others in the future...:)

Here's a picture of the centre bearing and C.V...

1606370218671.png

Last edited: