Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loud scraping noise while attempting to put car into park or neutral. I had to switch the engine off in gear.

Steve55

Reaction score
Members Ride
95vs acclaim.v6.
While driving my radio would not turn on. I pulled over and stopped, I couldn't put the car in park or neutral because of a loud scraping noise. But I went into reverse and drive easily allowing me to drive home. I turned off the engine while in drive, because it still wouldn't work in park or neutral. I then put it in park with the engine off and started the engine . It worked fine and the radio also came on. Does anyone have any ideas of what the cause of this would be ?

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
So you drove home in reverse? = reads that way !!!

Any ideas ?= the weeds fxxkin with your mind !!
Or a UFO is hovering over your car and little green aliens are giggling we're soooo fxkkin with him now!!!!

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
While driving my radio would not turn on. I pulled over and stopped, I couldn't put the car in park or neutral because of a loud scraping noise. But I went into reverse and drive easily allowing me to drive home. I turned off the engine while in drive, because it still wouldn't work in park or neutral. I then put it in park with the engine off and started the engine . It worked fine and the radio also came on. Does anyone have any ideas of what the cause of this would be ?
I don't really know what that could be... Sounds very strange though...

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
have you checked the transmission fluid or loose shifter linkage/ trans could be on its last legs how many ks has it done and for the radio turning off i say there a loose/ damage wire

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Why bother replying if you just want to be a dick.

The reply is fair, considering it does appear like you drove in reverse....

Oh and the radio has SFA to do with a gearbox

How's the air around Harvey Bay....Used to be good 25 years ago.....Sounds like it has gotten worse over time

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I've had a quick look at a wiring diagram and the radio and transmission are on separate circuits with their own fuses. Both lead back to the ignition switch.

The trans fault sounds funny too. You need to go through neutral to go from Drive and Reverse. I too would be looking at the transmission linkage and it never hurts to check the fluid level/condition.

Maybe the ignition switch is a bit dodgy and the transmission fault are pure coincidence?

I'm going to leave the first reply post. It may be a bit dodgy but it's gotten the thread noticed.

Steve55

Reaction score
Members Ride
95vs acclaim.v6.
I've had a quick look at a wiring diagram and the radio and transmission are on separate circuits with their own fuses. Both lead back to the ignition switch.

The trans fault sounds funny too. You need to go through neutral to go from Drive and Reverse. I too would be looking at the transmission linkage and it never hurts to check the fluid level/condition.

Maybe the ignition switch is a bit dodgy and the transmission fault are pure coincidence?

I'm going to leave the first reply post. It may be a bit dodgy but it's gotten the thread noticed.
Thanks for your reply, A couple of months ago I had a locksmith replace the ingition switch with brand new parts. The only difference is the accessories part on the ignition doesn't work for the radio. You have to turn it all the way for the radio to work. I know it all sounds strange, but that's just what happened. I topped up the transmission fluid this morning. I've had no trouble at all today. And the radio works as normal. To me it sounded like trying to start a manual car in gear, with the starter motor making that noise.

Steve55

Reaction score
Members Ride
95vs acclaim.v6.
I don't really know what that could be... Sounds very strange though...
Thanks Joe, you are right it is strange, and that's why I asked for help with it. I topped up the trans fluid this morning, and so far so good.