Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loud whine - but only while coasting/ decelerating

V8fairy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore wagon
VX auto with LS1 V8. Not engine related, only happens while car is moving. I dont think its a wheel bearing as it sounds like it is from under the car, and doesnt change if I go around a corner in either direction. Gets consistently higher pitched and louder with speed regardless of what gear its in. And as soon as I even touch the accelerator slightly, it disappears completely. Has been happening for quite a while but has gotten worse lately.

Sounds like a thrust bearing type issue, but not sure if thats a thing with the auto boxes

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Sounds more like the differential. Had the same problem in my (manual) VX GTS. New crown wheel and pinion fixed the problem.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If sedan, fold down the middle seat and go for a drive. If it’s the diff it’ll be twice as loud. Pinion bearing may be toast.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Ok enlighten me.

It's a myth that shonky used car salesman use to put banana peels in a noisy diff to quieten it down on test drive, TLH probably knows about it because he probably was a used car salesman, in fact he was probably that good he could sell rubbers to a monk.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It's a myth that shonky used car salesman use to put banana peels in a noisy diff to quieten it down on test drive, TLH probably knows about it because he probably was a used car salesman, in fact he was probably that good he could sell rubbers to a monk.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
VX auto with LS1 V8. Not engine related, only happens while car is moving. I dont think its a wheel bearing as it sounds like it is from under the car, and doesnt change if I go around a corner in either direction. Gets consistently higher pitched and louder with speed regardless of what gear its in. And as soon as I even touch the accelerator slightly, it disappears completely. Has been happening for quite a while but has gotten worse lately.

Sounds like a thrust bearing type issue, but not sure if thats a thing with the auto boxes

What about asking your Mother Inlaw to get out?