Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loud whine - but only while coasting/ decelerating

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
It's a myth that shonky used car salesman use to put banana peels in a noisy diff to quieten it down on test drive, TLH probably knows about it because he probably was a used car salesman, in fact he was probably that good he could sell rubbers to a monk.

It was banana skins and sawdust...:p

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I was always told to check for saw dust in the diff which was used to quieten things down. (back in the day)

V8fairy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore wagon
Sounds more like the differential. Had the same problem in my (manual) VX GTS. New crown wheel and pinion fixed the problem.

Thanks for that, will get a second hand diff and swap them next week, they're about 350 here

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Thanks for that, will get a second hand diff and swap them next week, they're about 350 here
Is that where the noise coming from? Wouldn't you want to be 100% first before throwing money at it? It could be your transmission for all you know torque converter are known to whine. But your choice I would have a mechanic dynos it first.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
could be the auto, put thick diff oil in the tranny, old trick like the banana skin

V8fairy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore wagon
could be the auto, put thick diff oil in the tranny, old trick like the banana skin

I've had the car over 4 years I think if the tranny had diff oil in it it would have failed by now

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
only kidding, though lsd diff oil does work to quieten down whinny/noisy MANUAL gearboxes. actually the 4l60e 4l80e autos have been know to have whinny torque convertor overdrive clutches in them. Jack the rear wheels up, engage drive and acceleraste and check the noise if coming from the diff pinion or even the tailshaft and uni"s which can whine at speed if out of balance.

V8fairy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore wagon
Is that where the noise coming from? Wouldn't you want to be 100% first before throwing money at it? It could be your transmission for all you know torque converter are known to whine. But your choice I would have a mechanic dynos it first.

Yes, may just do that actually. The manual I have isnt overly helpful about changing out a diff and as Vin999 points out it might be a torque converter overdrive clutch, tailshaft or universal joint, so I'll get him to deal with it