Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low 5v reference voltage

Mork5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0
Hi guys and girls ...just wondering if someone can help me I recently rebuilt my 5.0 after buying it as a project was running rough n stuff so rebuilt everything all new sensors etc still running the same ....
The problem I got is that when I check reference wire say air intake only reading .98 v after trying everything I got a refurbished ecm it's reading 1.20 v I just don't get it has power going to the ECM back probed the wires but not coming out

Could someone please put a multimeter on your air intake wires and see what you get ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
The timing is out as I changed coil and dizzy to
So gotta do that .yeah just those voltages don't seem right and to change when I replaced ECM I was thinking connections but even when I wiggle it around stays the same ☹️

Note : it does run alot a better than it did and as I said timings out and fouls the plugs
Just really need to know what someone else gets on their running right 5.0
The only thing I haven't changed is the voltage regulator in alternator as it does look crappy not sure if it's cause this but ?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
You're going to need timing light & multimeter to get basics done first or you'll just go in circles.

Put in fault mode then with timing light adjust to 10 degrees & tighten bolt up....assuming that you put dissy in top dead centre.

For votage regulator load sensing wire needs to be hooked up...check battery voltage before start engine usually 12 to 13 volts then when start engine should read higher like 13.3.13.7 or higher then as turn lights on or whatever you'll see voltage drop..

If set basics up like timing & voltage it will probably fix a few other simple issues.

Mork5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0
You're going to need timing light & multimeter to get basics done first or you'll just go in circles.

Put in fault mode then with timing light adjust to 10 degrees & tighten bolt up....assuming that you put dissy in top dead centre.

For votage regulator load sensing wire needs to be hooked up...check battery voltage before start engine usually 12 to 13 volts then when start engine should read higher like 13.3.13.7 or higher then as turn lights on or whatever you'll see voltage drop..

If set basics up like timing & voltage it will probably fix a few other simple issues.
Yep cool thinking that... like was running pretty good today when I first started it also started first pop "sounds different coz the cars a foot off the ground with no wheels on it " then I tried retarding the dizzy a bit without a timing light deerrrr fouled the plugs
And yeah basics hey
Also I'm guessing do timing first the set IAC when you hold it to 3000 for 10 seconds?
Thanks for the reply
Just wanted to rule that low voltage to the sensor thing out if anyone reads on just to rule it out thought it was supposed to be 5v

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Are you measuring the voltage when the engine is warm or cold? The item below is from the Holden VS Service manual, but the VN is similar:

1636623289049.png

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yep as above, if sensor is a 2 wire using 5v ref then the voltage with plug disconnected should be 5v and plugged in sensor will pull the voltage down based on resistance (temp), or if its 3 wire then earth and 5v in and voltage returned after resistance is 3rd wire somewhere 0-5v range

Mork5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0
Are you measuring the voltage when the engine is warm or cold? The item below is from the Holden VS Service manual, but the VN is similar:

View attachment 229486
Yeah tested the sensor it's good ..but just concerned about the reference 5 v line it's sposed to be ?and measured the current from the connection when cold

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Fix the basics & running correctly then move on to fiddly little things...if it were really bad it would set off a code but basics first.

Mork5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0
Fix the basics & running correctly then move on to fiddly little things...if it were really bad it would set off a code but basics first.
Yeah will do ...swear it's the connection to ECM put some Vaseline on the pins got 1.38v instead of 1.20? Also thinking never going to be able to fix the basics till I got alot more volts to my sensors
Might need Auto electrician unfortunately