Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low beams not working all of a sudden - high and park fine

lkorruptl

Reaction score
Hello,

hope you can help. The low beams on my VY commodore have just decided to simoultaneously not work.

I have checked the fuses and relays (swapped with horn) and they are all fine. Park lights and high beam still work fine. The switch I believe is fine as I hear a clicking in the relays when the switch is turned to on.

I fiddled with the wiring (which I assume must be the problem) and the left park light stopped working for a few minutes too. This leads me to believe its definately the wiring, however where on earth do I start to troubleshoot where the fault could be?

Any suggestions or alternatives to what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance.

danieLOL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
open the screw plastic thing behind the bulb and play around with the bulb, mine sometimes loses contact cause its a bit loose so that could be a reason

lkorruptl

Reaction score
Thanks Daniel,

have tried that too... Think there is a problem with the wiring between the relay and before it splits into left and right headlight...

lkorruptl

Reaction score
Not 100% sure but they are the standard aftermarket replacements... have been using them for more than a year with no problems!

lkorruptl

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Im not sure as I don't have a multimeter, however I would assume that there is no voltage running from the relay through the low beam circuit to the lights. There is only one connector socket per side which operates low beam, high beam and parking lights so there must be some volatge coming through as the parks and highs still work fine. Have unbolted the fuse box, but because the cables are so tight I can't move it more than a few inches, and thus its very difficult to actually trace the wiring from the low beam relay to the light sockets to see if there is any breaks in there... Can you suggest anything to solve this problem?

lkorruptl

Reaction score
Any more suggestions please? It is quite irritating as I can't drive at night now :(

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
have you tried changing the bulbs?, that would have been my first step.