Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low engine oil causes brakes to fail?

Discussion in 'General' started by henstepper, Oct 26, 2019.

1. henstepper

henstepper New Member

Members Ride:
    VY commodore Executive s2
    I have a mate who's brakes failed while driving. Brake oikl level was full, No leaks, pads seemed good. He was low on engine oil though and a mechanic told him that low motor oil can cause brakes to fail? When I heard it I thought no way, It's pretty ridiculous cause the brakes aren't hooked up to the engine? Do you think the mechanic was blowing smoke up his backside or is it true? It's a diesel van

2. Smitty

Smitty Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 Tourer wagon, VK Clubbie race car
    smoking.. ! DEF and whatever it is, is not good **** either

Tonner Matt and commodore665 like this.
  3. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    he was smoking something ,

Tonner Matt likes this.
  4. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Brakes normally get vacuum assist from the engine. IF the engine stops and you loose vacuum assist then the brakes pedal will become a lot harder to press but the brakes themselves will not fail. Worst case low engine oil/engine failure will cause a very stiff brake pedal. Diesels normally have some sort of vacuum pump as the engine themselves don't make vacuum as they don't have a throttle blade like a petrol engine. Possibly low oil in a diesel may effect the vacuum pump depending on how it is driven off the engine.

VS_Pete likes this.
  5. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    I assume your freind miss interrupted the information given to him. this is 100% why I don't deal with customers and cringe at what my boss tells them. 90% of the populus don't understand what a piston is.

6. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    ^ Yep but in the early part of last century, mechanics would have cut done parts and models to show their customers what was what and the work needed. Manufacturers provided lots of service documentation, etc. People were a little more connected to the devices around them.

Now, nobody wants to explain anything, maybe for fear it’s not as complicated as is made out to be and for fear of loosing any potential work.

And the connection todays general populace has with the devices around them has a completely different meaning :oops:

7. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    Mate my first workshop we had the whole front counter on our side full of cutaways. We ended up throwing it all out as no one asks anymore. it's about 1 in 50 that actually comes in and asks to see the issue on their car and we show them (waiting for an injury myself).

8. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    ^ no doubt... but sad the models were tossed o_O

The world has changed to the point where prams have rolled off train platforms or onto roads while the mother texts away :oops:

9. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    As frustrating as customers can be, I quite enjoy explaining to a customer, the cause of a problem and even pointing it out.

To me, not showing and explaining to a customer what an issue is/was, shows poor customer service skills and sadly it seems to be the way things are trending these days.

Skylarking likes this.
  10. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    Some customers don't want you to explain things and some women see it as misogynistic to be mansplaining to them so you obviously are way behind the times and need to leave customer service to profesionals.

11. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    The things I've throwen out over the years would leave most crying. I chucked a set of good MRC VE GTS shocks once as we were trying to off load coilovers so MRC shocks on the market is one less set of coilovers to sell.

12. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    Was dude wearing tinfoil hat & moccasins?

Smoking/snorting the good stuff or he been abducted by aliens more than once...

13. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    To start with, it wasn't directed at you....It's a general thing that is occurring more and more reguarly within most industries.

And yes, you need to learn customer service skills....It's an old school skill, which you don't possess and perhaps you should learn, rather than hide behind someone else and make rediculas comments like, being behind the times

Proper customer service entails explaining in simple terms, how a part operates and why the failure of a particular part can cause an issue to occur.

Yes some customers can be difficult to deal with and some don't want to listen....But those that do listen I find are more grateful that the time was taken to explain things in simple terms, rather than treated like leppers, or kept in the dark....This include females...This inturn promotes more business in your direction

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019