Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low engine oil causes brakes to fail?

henstepper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY commodore Executive s2
I have a mate who's brakes failed while driving. Brake oikl level was full, No leaks, pads seemed good. He was low on engine oil though and a mechanic told him that low motor oil can cause brakes to fail? When I heard it I thought no way, It's pretty ridiculous cause the brakes aren't hooked up to the engine? Do you think the mechanic was blowing smoke up his backside or is it true? It's a diesel van

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
smoking.. ! DEF and whatever it is, is not good **** either

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I have a mate who's brakes failed while driving. Brake oikl level was full, No leaks, pads seemed good. He was low on engine oil though and a mechanic told him that low motor oil can cause brakes to fail? When I heard it I thought no way, It's pretty ridiculous cause the brakes aren't hooked up to the engine? Do you think the mechanic was blowing smoke up his backside or is it true? It's a diesel van

he was smoking something ,

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Brakes normally get vacuum assist from the engine. IF the engine stops and you loose vacuum assist then the brakes pedal will become a lot harder to press but the brakes themselves will not fail. Worst case low engine oil/engine failure will cause a very stiff brake pedal. Diesels normally have some sort of vacuum pump as the engine themselves don't make vacuum as they don't have a throttle blade like a petrol engine. Possibly low oil in a diesel may effect the vacuum pump depending on how it is driven off the engine.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I assume your freind miss interrupted the information given to him. this is 100% why I don't deal with customers and cringe at what my boss tells them. 90% of the populus don't understand what a piston is.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ Yep but in the early part of last century, mechanics would have cut done parts and models to show their customers what was what and the work needed. Manufacturers provided lots of service documentation, etc. People were a little more connected to the devices around them.

Now, nobody wants to explain anything, maybe for fear it’s not as complicated as is made out to be and for fear of loosing any potential work.

And the connection todays general populace has with the devices around them has a completely different meaning :oops:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
^ Yep but in the early part of last century, mechanics would have cut done parts and models to show their customers what was what and the work needed. Manufacturers provided lots of service documentation, etc. People were a little more connected to the devices around them.

Now, nobody wants to explain anything, maybe for fear it’s not as complicated as is made out to be and for fear of loosing any potential work.

And the connection todays general populace has with the devices around them has a completely different meaning :oops:
Mate my first workshop we had the whole front counter on our side full of cutaways. We ended up throwing it all out as no one asks anymore. it's about 1 in 50 that actually comes in and asks to see the issue on their car and we show them (waiting for an injury myself).

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ no doubt... but sad the models were tossed o_O

The world has changed to the point where prams have rolled off train platforms or onto roads while the mother texts away :oops:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
As frustrating as customers can be, I quite enjoy explaining to a customer, the cause of a problem and even pointing it out.

To me, not showing and explaining to a customer what an issue is/was, shows poor customer service skills and sadly it seems to be the way things are trending these days.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
As frustrating as customers can be, I quite enjoy explaining to a customer, the cause of a problem and even pointing it out.

To me, not showing and explaining to a customer what an issue is/was, shows poor customer service skills and sadly it seems to be the way things are trending these days.
Some customers don't want you to explain things and some women see it as misogynistic to be mansplaining to them so you obviously are way behind the times and need to leave customer service to profesionals.