Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low Fuel Warning Issue - Solved

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
A couple of months ago I developed a low fuel warning issue with my 2005 VZ Wagon.

Even though I had a full tank of fuel each time I would start my car I get a low fuel warning. I press mode on my dash to remove the warning but the fuel icon is still stays. The warning doesn't come back while I drive but the fuel icon stays beside my electronic speedo and when I do have low fuel it warns me as per usual. There's no issue with fuel reading or ohms just the annoying warning beeps.

This started happening as soon as I used Envious Customs Body Diagnostic software to check out if I had the latest setting on my fuel pump. I reached out to Jason and to be honest he wasn't much help. It might have been a coincidence or his software is to blame but who knows.

After searching through threads and online I found a company called Injectronics who refurbish the ECM and BCM of the VZ Holden and one issue they take care of is the low fuel warning.

You can send your own gear or buy one of their refurbished products.

I will send my parts(ECM, BCM, PIM, Keys)

They work with Bursons or Repco and it costs $405 in total to send and they test it and fix the issue and send it back to the place you used and the turn around time is roughly 3 business days.

While I have the BCM out I will change the relay as well myself to solve the possible future sticky indicator issue.

I will keep you guys posted of my outcome

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Sorry guys does anyone have any clue what it could be?

After reading online it seems the common problem is a "fuel gauge error" warning not a low fuel alarm and warning

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It could be faulty cluster, or fuel sender in the tank?
To sort the cluster, it needs to be reflashed to the car. (Airbag set up, kms and VIN etc). Unless you can find one from a similar car.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I sent the components to injectronics(ECM, BCM,PIM, Keys) they ran a test and came with no error codes. They said it will cost $1200 to go further or $590 for a replacement unit and I don't even know if that will fix the issue. I just told them to send it back.

It's not the fuel gauge error warning that is common it's a different issue

Another strange thing that happens is when I over fill the tank, I'll let the pump click a few times and the fuel comes out the neck the error doesn't come up till the level drops a bit and then it says low fuel. Something is making it think there's low fuel and when I completely fill it till it leaks out then it's fine.

I just spoke to Jason envious customs and he advised me to take it to Holden and give it a engine computer update

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Should just take it to Holden, They had a update to fix faulty fuel gauge on VZ, common issue with them just have to see all the forums, I imagine Holden would know how to fix them very quickly as they would of done thousands by now.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
It wasn't a faulty fuel gauge till I updated the calibration. I have been told and I spoke to Holden that when you update the calibration of the fuel pump that the ecu should be updated to the latest version. There was a bulletin for the vz where it was known to cause an issue if the ecu ecu had the old firmware. I'll be taking the car after the new year to the service department and see what they can do. I hope it's just an easy flash. The car is an 05 and my old man bought the car in 08 and has never been serviced at Holden so it could be why the car has never had an updated ecu

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It wasn't a faulty fuel gauge till I updated the calibration. I have been told and I spoke to Holden that when you update the calibration of the fuel pump that the ecu should be updated to the latest version. There was a bulletin for the vz where it was known to cause an issue if the ecu ecu had the old firmware. I'll be taking the car after the new year to the service department and see what they can do. I hope it's just an easy flash. The car is an 05 and my old man bought the car in 08 and has never been serviced at Holden so it could be why the car has never had an updated ecu
Well that is gr8, it should be fine with the update.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Just to give a long awaited update here.
I went to Holden today and the mechanic updated the new fuel calibration settings and the low fuel warning is now gone.

I have had the issue for over three years and it was a simple 2 min update that fixed it free of charge.

Oh how I wish Holden was still around

Last edited: