Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low idle - motor shakes a lot 355 carby / cam

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If it's got decent sized cam & demon carb it's probably a foot choke special...my bushpig f280 355 was like that untill started getting heat into it.

Basically 2 pumps of pedal....crank it over & when it fires feather throttle to keep it running untill temp needle starts to move.

What specs of motor & driveline did you get from previous owner?

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
If it's got decent sized cam & demon carb it's probably a foot choke special...my bushpig f280 355 was like that untill started getting heat into it.

Basically 2 pumps of pedal....crank it over & when it fires feather throttle to keep it running untill temp needle starts to move.

Yeah thanks.

All I got was 355 with VN heads, a cam (unknown specs) demon carby harrop inlet manifold pacemaker extractors. Turbo 700 with 345.1 diff ratio (VL diff) it has no knocks and motor runs well just not when it’s cold lol I have cleaned carby new oils and all.

Your spot on - two pumps and she starts when cold!

Reactions: Lex

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Yeah thanks.

All I got was 355 with VN heads, a cam (unknown specs) demon carby harrop inlet manifold pacemaker extractors. Turbo 700 with 345.1 diff ratio (VL diff) it has no knocks and motor runs well just not when it’s cold lol I have cleaned carby new oils and all.

Your spot on - two pumps and she starts when cold!
She is also dumping a lot of fuel (I think it’s running very rich) out of the twin hookers exhaust that are dumped before diff.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Single plane or dual?
What size stally?
What is rpm in neutral & drive when warmed up?

On mine I bridged the venturi tubes with some fuel hose then slotted top...old drag racers trick help stop them stalling when hit brakes also helps a bit when drive it to get up to temp quicker.

Demon carb are like a holley...not quite as adjustable as you'd want but middle of range carby.

Probably need someone who knows carbs to go over it & set it up proper if it's dumping fuel out mufflers but really need to take it for long drive & sort out as many of little issues you can fix yourself & go through car....alot of time simple fixes.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
She is also dumping a lot of fuel (I think it’s running very rich) out of the twin hookers exhaust that are dumped before diff.
Actual fuel or water/condensation spitting out mufflers...guessing doesn't run long or been for decent drive to blow out the cobwebs.

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina

Single plane or dual?
What size stally?
What is rpm in neutral & drive when warmed up?

On mine I bridged the venturi tubes with some fuel hose then slotted top...old drag racers trick help stop them stalling when hit brakes also helps a bit when drive it to get up to temp quicker.

Demon carb are like a holley...not quite as adjustable as you'd want but middle of range carby.

Probably need someone who knows carbs to go over it & set it up proper if it's dumping fuel out mufflers but really need to take it for long drive & sort out as many of little issues you can fix yourself & go through car....alot of time simple fixes.
Single plane
Stally is 2500 - revs sit about 2000rpm when warmed up
Thanks

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Actual fuel or water/condensation spitting out mufflers...guessing doesn't run long or been for decent drive to blow out the cobwebs.
It appears like a black soot. I was of the belief it was fuel due to the strong scent of fuel when running.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Bit of mix n match there...tall gearing & baby stall on engine with single plane,decent cam & 750 demon lol

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Bit of mix n match there...tall gearing & baby stall on engine with single plane,decent cam & 750 demon lol
Yeah it is - the car I feel is great for me - just a Cruzer but trying to sort it out. I appreciate your views tho, cheers