Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low oil pressure?

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
my vr v6 auto has had a rough idle and noisy lifters (i think) for quiet a while, ive had some worked heads put on (originally to replace the valve stem seals) and i didnt replace the lifters, i notice when the car runs rough and about stalls the oil light comes on for about 1 sec then goes away and car is fine. so i decided to buy a electrical oil pressure gauge, hooked it all up, the pressure im getting is

around 7psi at idle
under acceleration it goes to about 40psi

my oil pan is bent pretty badly, so im goin to replace that, but is there anythign else that could cause a low oil pressure??

thanks for any help

Crombie87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ex-Police Commodore Wagon
A Blockage in the Oil Flow From the Filters or at the bottom of the Block, My did a similar thing when i first got it and the oil was just not getting the the top end and i took it to a local mechanic and he said it was all fine i about a hr or two of driving it the oil light came on and seized. i called the local holden dealer and they said that it was fairly common problem at high mileage.

I Would recomend giving it a good oil flush and change.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If the oil pan is bent badly then maybe the pickup is bent as well. The sensor that turns the red oil warning light on is located next to the oilfilter and oilpump so when it lights up you can bet there is little oil going anywhere.
The oil pressures you quote are OK for a car which is driven 'gently' and would probably last anther 50,000km or so if continued to be driven 'gently', but if you push it then I'd bet that the end is near. Thicker oil may help but it sounds like your donk is near its end.
As Crombie87 says - oil change and filter - but you are still only putting off the inevitable. To fix the idle it would probably pay to clean the IAC and associated items. Good luck.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
ok thanks for that, i guess i better save for a new motor :( not wonted to hear that lol