Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low-profile car ramp choices for VF

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
When I mention I'm heading to the shed to work on Black Thunder, I get the "I don't want to know". Not sure what that's all about......?? :(

Is that her way of saying, get that hoist so I have more piece and quiet? :)

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
Wow! I seem to have opened up quite a discussion here! I like a lot of the ideas coming through, especially the scissor lift.

Getting back to my original post about the suitability of low profile ramps though, I'm still considering to give the Stanfred low profile ramps a try.

It was pointed out to me that the maximum tyre width is 225mm and my tyres are 235mm. However, 235 is the overall width of they're measured at the wall and not at the point of contact with the ramp.

The tyre width at the tread that makes contact with the ramp is less than 225mm which means the tyre tread will not overhang and hit the sharp edges of the angle line.

The ramps are weight rated for the car and besides, I've used my existing ramps as wheel supports using the trolley jack on my cars before with no issues.

At the same time, we might just buy some thick hard wood planks and make some metal hooks to loop around the ramp rung and use that as an entry point for our existing ramps. Will add an intermediate support for weight as well.

Will let you all know what I decide to do and how I get around this.

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
How far down will the jack handle go?

I bought a low profile jack a few years ago. Couldn't get the lifting head under the kframe. The handle wouldn't come down far enough. It was stopping the jack from going under kframe.

If you only wanted to lift the vehicle from the side, it was okay.

It works okay. Jack handle goes flat or horizontal. you do not get much clearance at first so the initial movement of the handle is small but after a few its fine and goes up well. My car is std and not lowered.

Reactions: Lex

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
I bought the large Stanford ramps originally for the width, they are really suited as 4WD ramps. The angle was too steep for the VF when I tried them out.
Bought the clip on extensions and they work fine now.
6000223D-0CA0-46A1-B2C0-3F1E817F0067.jpeg

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
I bought the large Stanford ramps originally for the width, they are really suited as 4WD ramps. The angle was too steep for the VF when I tried them out.
Bought the clip on extensions and they work fine now.
View attachment 232190
Thanks Barca,
I'd love to buy a set of the extensions however when Repco called Stanfred this week they advised that they are no longer available due to changes in the Australian Standards. I think that's why they now have the low profile ramps available instead.

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Thanks Barca,
I'd love to buy a set of the extensions however when Repco called Stanfred this week they advised that they are no longer available due to changes in the Australian Standards. I think that's why they now have the low profile ramps available instead.
Yeah right fair enough mate. That sux

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
You need "Race Ramps " ......they are an American Product and are used by the the SS chevy V8's over there
Yep, I've used Race Ramps for a few years, they're excellent!
20201006_174405 (3).jpg

mummbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV Redline Sportwagon
From the links you posted, the hydraulic car ramps will set you back 1020GBP (= $1920AUD) with 120GBP delivered to London but they don't delivery down under via their website :rolleyes: And the quickjack will set you back $1550USD (= $2125AUD) but they are out of stock and probably don't deliver down under either :rolleyes:

A quickjack bl-7000slx from the www.quickjack.com.au website will set you back $3150AUD (shipping to major cities and towns included) :cool:

Home made tilting ramps are much cheaper but lack the cool factor :p:p:p

How about these?

https://www.costco.com.au/Automotiv...acks-Axle-Stands/QuickJack-Car-Lift/p/8513217

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L