Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low-profile car ramp choices for VF

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
They're not long enough for the VF.
I've looked into them before. Our wheelbase is too long.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
Well, I managed to find a Repco store that had the Stanfred low-profile ramps in stock so that I could try them out. Fortunately, the staff member who took my call advised that they're unsuitable for VF as he has tried them out on his own cars and said that they aren't low enough.

Can't justify buying a hydraulic lift and I don't feel confident as these look quite flimsy as opposed to a proper workshop hoist. We're going to look at getting some custom ramps made, either that or it's going to the local workshop for servicing.

Would never have bought a VF if I knew it was going to be this difficult to service. Adding this to the list of hates about the model along with ridiculously large turning circle, overweight and extremely poor vision. They are a great car in all other respects such as styling, comfort and performance but I would rate my VX Calais well above my VF any day.

Still, that's what we diehard Holden fans do... support the brand regardless.

bundyjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2007
I have a standard set of ramps. My VE SV6 bumper touches , so someone suggested use pieces of wood to make a shallower approach ,and it worked...
Jack

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Well, I managed to find a Repco store that had the Stanfred low-profile ramps in stock so that I could try them out. Fortunately, the staff member who took my call advised that they're unsuitable for VF as he has tried them out on his own cars and said that they aren't low enough.

Can't justify buying a hydraulic lift and I don't feel confident as these look quite flimsy as opposed to a proper workshop hoist. We're going to look at getting some custom ramps made, either that or it's going to the local workshop for servicing.

Would never have bought a VF if I knew it was going to be this difficult to service. Adding this to the list of hates about the model along with ridiculously large turning circle, overweight and extremely poor vision. They are a great car in all other respects such as styling, comfort and performance but I would rate my VX Calais well above my VF any day.

Still, that's what we diehard Holden fans do... support the brand regardless.
It takes me less than 2 minutes to get my VF in a position to service (front anyway, abotu 10 minutes if I want the rear up too all level).
Costco arcann jack with a piece of wood across the entire k frame, jack up from middle.
Jack stands on lift point.
Done.
2 mins, no fuss, easier than driving onto ramps (I have ramps too, my calais with stock front suspension easily drives up without touching)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It takes me less than 2 minutes to get my VF in a position to service (front anyway, abotu 10 minutes if I want the rear up too all level).
Costco arcann jack with a piece of wood across the entire k frame, jack up from middle.
Jack stands on lift point.
Done.
2 mins, no fuss, easier than driving onto ramps (I have ramps too, my calais with stock front suspension easily drives up without touching)
[/URL]
I doubt I'd achieve all of that in under 15 minutes. :)
Took me at least 10 minutes to hoist the old Volvo in the air yesterday ... making sure each jacking-point was perfectly in the right spot, that the arms were locked in place properly, up-down-up-down over that first little bit of movement making sure everything's just right. I've decided I have trust issues with 2-post hoists, sure they're better for working on most things on the car than a 4-post but I'm still uneasy with 2 tonnes of car balancing in the air over my head ...

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Took me at least 10 minutes to hoist the old Volvo in the air yesterday ... making sure each jacking-point was perfectly in the right spot, that the arms were locked in place properly, up-down-up-down over that first little bit of movement making sure everything's just right. I've decided I have trust issues with 2-post hoists, sure they're better for working on most things on the car than a 4-post but I'm still uneasy with 2 tonnes of car balancing in the air over my head ...
Yes I'd be the same on a hoist. But this is a jack and stands.

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
Same here Forg,

My father told me horror stories of people that had been either killed or seriously injured as a result of placing faith inadequate or at times, home made improvised vehicle supports. I was never allowed to work on a vehicle at home unless it was on stands or ramps and he was present in case anything happened. I had a HG Holden up on ramps to clean underneath and do some repairs. We had the ramps positioned back to front on one wheel on each side so it couldn't roll in any direction. The wheels were even tied down to the ramps with rope.

To be honest, I don't feel safe using stands unless its a job that doesn't require getting under the vehicle. I much prefer ramps or similar supports under the wheel or a 4 post hoist that has a physical mechanical lock.

I can replace the car, I can't replace my life.