Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low profile tyres/rims and country roads

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

FOS = Full of Sh!t.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Yep

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
@vc commodore I doubt any supplier would come to the party unless we told porkies about how it happened. The hole was about two feet long, a foot deep and a foot wide in the bitumen, and of course, on a corner with very limited verge. It would have made a hell of a bang in our Hilux. I only bashed one of my steel rims back into shape after hitting something similar on a "high" standard dirt road just before Christmas. They are just not the right feet for a car out this way unless you are sticking to the highway.

Thanks for the thought - surprisingly the cheese and kisses and two billy lids weren't overly concerned about it; except for the loud noise that woke the baby. Different story when the saw the rims. I was surprised there was not more damage given the size of the pothole. It definitely could have been a nasty event if they had gone over the verge - instanly flat tyres on a right hand corner on the off camber. The gods were definitely smiling.

I will try to bash some sense into his skull at work during the week!

I actually had a rim come in that the customer smashed against a gutter whilst he was pissed....Yes, he admitted he was pissed....This rim was as bad if not worse than the one you put up.....The rim supplier said it did it's job the way he held together and did a warranty claim. The front end of the car....well it wasn't too flash after his gutter antics, but that's another story.

If you're going to do some skull bashing....Youtube it (faces obsequered of course)...We could all use a good laugh... :)

Good luck with it...Hopefully he listens to a wise old man...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I heard a claim can be made to Council for not maintaining the roads as they are paid to do, when an incident like this occurs

About 15 years ago, I worked at a store that dealt with the council....Doing all their tyre work.

Anyways, there was one particular road (behind Holdens manufacturing plant) that people were constantly stuffing up their rims, because the road was absolute shite.....After about 6 months of the council coughing up for new rims, they actually stopped coughing up...Something along the lines of passing some crap by-law to throw the onus away from them...Can't remember the exact reason....Needless to say, there were plenty of annoyed motorists...Oh and they also kept up the maintenance on the road after they stopped paying out for the rims

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Many state govs have legislation limiting a councils liability. e.g NSW Civil Liability Act 2002, and unfortunately it’s your burden to prove the council were aware of the risk imposed by the road failure and were negligent to not act on this knowledge to be successful (so it’s impossible to get council to tell you when the issue was first reported to them and what actions they took)...

Other state govs have gone further with road specific legislation limiting liability in much the same way as above while introducing a form of excess set suitably high so the council doesn’t have to rush and fix roads, legislation like Vic Road Management Act 2004

IMHO, they are all a pack of shits for passing such legislation while not maintaining our roads which we pay through the nose for, via pertol taxes amongst other state, fed and council taxes.

Sucks really...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Many state govs have legislation limiting a councils liability. e.g NSW Civil Liability Act 2002, and unfortunately it’s your burden to prove the council were aware of the risk imposed by the road failure and were negligent to not act on this knowledge to be successful (so it’s impossible to get council to tell you when the issue was first reported to them and what actions they took)...

Other state govs have gone further with road specific legislation limiting liability in much the same way as above while introducing a form of excess set suitably high so the council doesn’t have to rush and fix roads, legislation like Vic Road Management Act 2004

IMHO, they are all a pack of shits for passing such legislation while not maintaining our roads which we pay through the nose for, via pertol taxes amongst other state, fed and council taxes.

Sucks really...

In Victoria, the councils have an arse covering device called a 'rough surface' road side sign...:mad:

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
While the Concils have a part to play - the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

$ are always directed to the high traffic areas over low use ones. If you live in the area you know what to expect and your vehicles should be shod according to the conditions. While I love the look of the 20 inch rims on the VE - it is not practical for our location. It would be like me putting SSL on my ute and then complaining about the exhaust being ripped off on my cambered deco driveway.

What makes me laugh the loudest is Hilux/Ranger 4WD with stupidly low profile road tyres out this way. I could understand it in the Sydney CBD - but Yass/Goulburn/Young?

More $ than sense.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Live in shitsville get used to **** roads I got sick of scraping my lowered commodore and done the same as everyone else brought a 4 wheel drive at least I don't get bogged in the local footy ground car park now.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
We both have 4WD as well and use them as daily/work vehicles in our business no problems. We have standard profile and FE2 on the VZ ute and don't have problems; shitsville is OK as long as you set the thing up correctly and drive to the conditions. Can't beat a Hilux for day to day and work use though.