Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

low profile tyres

Tony2

Reaction score
I'm considering a new set of 17 inch wheels with 235/45 tyres. Its going on a ute that is already lowered which has a very firm ride already (with 225/65/15 tyres). How much harder/ more uncomfortable is the ride likely to be with the new low profile tyres?

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
watch out for those speed bumps and dippy curbs, i have 19's on my VX which is lowered quite a bit, and i gotta drive realllllll careful to try not to scrape it. im sure yours would be fine, as they are only 17" depends how low it sits now and how much of the rubbers sits under the guard to how much you can go, best be would be to talk to a tyre person in ur area....

L

Lukie

how much force does it take to crack an exhaust pipe? cause my car sits preety low on a set of low profile kuhmo's and if i go a tad fast over a speed bump my exhaust smacks agiast the speed hump.. done it twice...

i gotta like tippy toe over them...

p.s when i mean a tad fast its like "the speed a normal car would go over them with a caring driver"

4WDriftr

Hey Tony2, your ride will be abit more of a rough ride, as in 17" tyres, your reducing your profile from a 65 series, to 45 series. the only way to reduce the rough ride, is to raise your car. Its sad to hear but nothing else can change the ride.

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Those ultra-low-profile 18's and 19's on street cars look great and would work well on a billiard-table smooth racetrack, but in the real world, they are hopeless and imbue a stiffly-suspended car with mountains of bump-steer and bad road holding because of a tendancy to skip over rough surfaces instead of biting down...unless of course, you spring for super-sticky performance tyres worth hundreds of bukcs each and which last on the real-world roads about three months... :cry:
As a seasoned driving pro said to some guys in a car magazine, "give me a car with decent power, well-set up suspension, and 16" wheels with 60-series tyres and I'll show you all the way home on a bumpy twisty highway..."
It's all to do with a bit of sidewall allowing the tyres to flex and bite into a typical shitehouse highway like we drive on everywhere. I sat beside a WRX with 19" wheels and 255-35/19 tyres, Yokohamas, and there was honestly about an inch of rubber between those shiny expensive rims and the road. He'd demolish them coming in my driveway at anything above an idle... :whistling :yeah:

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
*points at Wombat's post*

That's why I've only got 16" wheels! My dad has also witnessed cars which have the instrument cluster fall into the driver's lap because the wheels were big, which made the ride really rough and it rattled it loose!

I do like the look of 18" wheels, but in the long run the biggest I'd go would be 17" for the reasons Wombat stated. I'm quite happy with my 16s, really ;).

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Yes I have heard statements from other people about low profiles tyres how if they went bolting around a corner that was bumpy they would end up skidding off the road.
My car is rough as is and it only has 15"

Cheers,
Jim :cool:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
*Goes back to year 12 physics*
But by the same regard a lower profile tire has less side wall flex, as when you go round a corner lateral forces are excerted apon the ttire, which it must resist. Tires with lower profiles have a shorter, stiffer side wall so they resist these forces better.
*Returns to normal*
Ill let ya's know, as I'm putting 18's on my car this week.....
AirStrike :air:

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
why do u think they run with 16" steel stockers at the drags ......

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
Baldric said:
why do u think they run with 16" steel stockers at the drags ......

because its cheaper to put new rubber on them :yeah: