Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low speed clicking noise

Brian67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hi All
New to the forum, so not sure if this has been covered before.
I've a VE Omega (2011) that, after reversing out of drive way or car park makes a clicking sound as you drive off straightening up the steering as you go.
It's difficult to pin down if it's coming from front or rear.
It's random, as in I can't do it on demand at a given point whilst straightening up, some occasions are worse than others and disappears once the car is doing more than 20kmh, or at least I can't hear it. The vehicle is relatively low km for it's age (70,000) and steers straight as arrow with no noticeable vibration.
I've done all I can before it goes on a hoist and get underneath with a pry bar to wriggle everything to try nut it out.
Any pointers?

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Can you record it?
Make sure you don't have a small stone stuck in one of the callipers, bouncing around and that your wheels nuts are tight enough.

Brian67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Wheel nuts are definately not it, as I've had wheels off checking calipers plus anything else i can do on the ground as you mentioned. I'll borrow the missus' selfie stick and try get a get a recording. It's a sharp metallic click, and the weirdest part is that it vanishes after 20 kph, 25 kph tops.
Seems to be a given, that it will occur if I've reversed (drive way, carpark) although has also done it a few times when pull out of parallel park driving forward

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
CV joints.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Does it just click once or make a continuous clicking sound?
Could it be the ABS self test that the system performs after each start up as you pull away?
It makes a click sound followed by a wob wob wob sound.

Brian67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Does it just click once or make a continuous clicking sound?
Could it be the ABS self test that the system performs after each start up as you pull away?
It makes a click sound followed by a wob wob wob sound.
does more than one (usually) another person suggests CV joints, possible, but happens sometimes when going straight too. It's a weird one alright. The common theme is the low speed. I've had occasions where I'll drive alongside an embankment or wall and the sound "bounces" back making it easier to hear, but due to it's intermittent nature, still difficult to pin down

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
The tang from the thin metal bit that sits under the wings of the brake pad once got caught in my slotted rotors once causing a click click sound. Identified it by a fresh score mark on the rotor. Bent tab with a flathead and all good.