Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low, Superlow or Ultra Low??

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 VH SL
Hi all,

Just a quick question, I'm about to buy a set of springs for my car, and am wondering what to buy, i want it to be legal and i enjoy driving on dirt roads so i want to still be able to do that without any problems. Will low be good enough and give it a somewhat decent drop or should i go superlow?

Any comments would be appreciated! :)

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Supers, yeah. What size rims does it have?

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I'd avoid ultra-lows if you want any sort of ground clearance. I even found superlows borderline. But they are a good compromise
I've got a near new set of front Lovell superlows in the for sale section if you're interested.

kimaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore SLE
i had superlows on my vh and had to change the rear to lows, even after i had the guards rolled it scrubbed with a full tank of fuel,

it was either that or go different shocks, wheels or tyres (225s on 16inch walkys scrubbed)

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
i had superlows on my vh and had to change the rear to lows, even after i had the guards rolled it scrubbed with a full tank of fuel,

it was either that or go different shocks, wheels or tyres (225s on 16inch walkys scrubbed)

have you fit an adjustable panhard rod ? I haven't rolled the guards and my 225's on Walkys miss the guards by about almost 10mm on both sides.
Need to also check heights of superlows in different brands. I've got Lovell superlows on mine (front & rear) and my rear sits about the same height as your avatar pic, maybe a touch higher. The sidewalls on your tyres seem to be quite round in profile, which might be causing the problems.

Most spring manufacturers will provide 'eyebrow height' to give you a bit of an idea of where it will sit. Although fronts can vary a fair bit depending on what sort of shocks and strut tops you have fitted.

rear2.jpg

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Mate
I have lows on the rear and superlows on the front.
Tyres are 245/40R17 and have no scrubbing issues.
I run a VL diff and adjustable panhard.
Ultra lows = cop bait.

kimaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore SLE
have you fit an adjustable panhard rod ? I haven't rolled the guards and my 225's on Walkys miss the guards by about almost 10mm on both sides.
Need to also check heights of superlows in different brands. I've got Lovell superlows on mine (front & rear) and my rear sits about the same height as your avatar pic, maybe a touch higher. The sidewalls on your tyres seem to be quite round in profile, which might be causing the problems.

Most spring manufacturers will provide 'eyebrow height' to give you a bit of an idea of where it will sit. Although fronts can vary a fair bit depending on what sort of shocks and strut tops you have fitted.

rear2.jpg

Are all walkys the same offset from factory? My superlows are King Springs, maybe they are slightly different? If I either had one passenger, or a full tank of fuel, it would scrub out everytime the car went over a slight bump in the road, very annoying for more than a 10 minute drive!
I do also have the on car adjustable panhard rod, but it was scrubbing on both sides so adjusting it didn't solve the problem

What type of tyres do you have? Mine are just crappy sumitomos anyway, I'd like to get some new tyres with white writting around the side walls, I love that 70's muscle look!

Anyway I have swapped the lows back into the rear, I might swap the SL's back in when i get some new wheels