Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

low toque down low?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
AMEN andyman. Finally someone with the knowledge/experience and not just another 17yr old "I just got my license and first VN-VT gonna pwn yo ass" boy racer.

lol im only 19 but with mates with different cars and all the cars i work on and drive at work, ive driven heaps of different makes and models, so i think i can safely compare cars

Sure they dont have the low down torque of a Ecotec motor but I think the alloytec motor are much funner to drive you just have to no how to drive them :thumbsup:

damm straight, thats what ive always said about them, you cant jump between say a vy and zed they throttle control is heaps different, dont agree with the low down torque but im running a different tune and have max ve flow set at 100 so sometimes it can get a bit touchy now hehe, i.e working way through traffic, touch the pedal a bit to move forward, it just squats and launches

Current (and VZ) engine management systems are designed to reduce power if it senses ABUSE MODE in order to protect transmissions etc.

hehe, mine dosnt have than anymore

84dez

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
ive got an ecotec feeling alloytec ATM (all power down low none up top lol) impressed my mate when i slam it and just tired spin.

if u want more down low the manifold insulators are the way to do as they increase ur down low torque which helps u get off the line faster. but tune looks like the best way to go and diff gears. but get everything done to the car u want and then tune or else it will get very expensive

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
yeah..been looking at mace engineering...ive taken a big interest in his insulators and the cai box..had a look on ebay the cai is 270 come with everything to install and its straight unbolt and bolt back in

and the insulators are 150 bucks, hes got an instalation guide on ebay but my computer wont open it up cus its stupid and i dont have abode reader haha...estimated 5kw gains outta each and says that improves a bit of torque downlow so for $420 + postage could be a best value for money at the moment

if anyone could tell me how easy/hard it is to replace the insulators would be appreciated and do u need to be mechanically minded...or is it pretty straight forward?

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Ecotecs had torque off the line???

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Sure they dont have the low down torque of a Ecotec motor but I think the alloytec motor are much funner to drive you just have to no how to drive them ahaha and where the usuable power is.. I have a mate who has a VY S Pac ute with CAI, exhaust and few other lil peices and of the line he pulled but it had no hope once we were up and goin the alloytec hammers all the way to redline whereeas ecotec runs out of puff... Even had a worked VT 5 L worried .. these alloytecs deserve some respect :thumbsup:

Yeah thats exactly what i was saying the ecotec does have more off idle torque but the Alloytec has a very fat midrange and better top end. I know my SV6 will beat a ecotec off the line but not by much.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
However still 0-100 you won't have ANY trouble whatsoever dispatching an ecotech. The alloytech's hit torque just after 2000rpm and then go hard from there on. Anyone else who tells you different or tries to tell you different is a fkn idiot and has no idea what they are talking about. I know for a fact, I used to own a VS S2 ute w/ extractors zorst and CAI, yet my VZ SV6 sedan still makes 0-100 faster and I have never been beaten to 100 by ANY ecotech or pre alloytech NA motor :) (unless they have had some work done to it of course.)

Yeah but they don't hit peak torque till 3400rpm (in the vz, much better in the VE), im pretty sure the ecotec hits its peak torque in the low 2k mark. Having owned many cars ranging from a stock VL to a 10 sec Torana on the bottle i think i have the experience to comment on the SV6's torque delivery :p

84dez

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
where in brissy are ya mate as when u get em all im happy to help with install of box and insulators, would love to see another alloytec with similar mods to mine go, even in 175kw motor as u can install both at the same time will save slot of messing around. MCAI is cheap but still not same gains as a boxed pod havent got mace one but have similar and much nicer induction roar or just go for the full OTR that a guy has on ebay for $400

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
im in beeneligh..if u dont know its halfway between brissy and the goldcost virtually 30 mins drive each way...and i think wen i decide to get it ill just get the box and insulators..i read a post of yours before about u think its losing power top end...and the gasket glue was still runny? just wondering with the new gaskets in has it rectified that problem or are you still losing power up top?

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Yeah but they don't hit peak torque till 3400rpm (in the vz, much better in the VE), im pretty sure the ecotec hits its peak torque in the low 2k mark. Having owned many cars ranging from a stock VL to a 10 sec Torana on the bottle i think i have the experience to comment on the SV6's torque delivery :p

Ecotec peak torque was about 3600rpm from memory??

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
I'd probably trust your judgement moreso Torana, however fro my experience having owned a VS S2 ute and now a VZ SV6 as the comparo of eco vs alloy, you're right about the Eco's hitting torque earlier, but with my SV6, seems to hit torque about 2700rpm.