Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

low toque down low?

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
hey all, i recently bought my '05 vz exec and was just wondering comparing the engine to my old vt (ecotec)..it had an exhast and that was about it no extractors or nothing...the vt seemd to have more torque off the mark..like not looking for tyre spin off the line, but just seemed to have more balls

wondering if i put an exhast and extractors, pod filter or something to open up the airbox would it change the torque downlow or wat..

cheers jim80

Kal123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 && 180sx
Best way to get better down low torque would be the VCM Tune or a higher set of Diff gears (3.54/3.73)

Is it Auto or Man?

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
4 spd auto...vcm tune?? please explain and would almost any performance shop be able to do it..and would it be pointless without exhaust done??

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
the alloytec has fly by wire which means that the ecu has control over the throttle not your foot. a vcm tune removes alot of this torque management which means when you floor it off the line the throttle body will actually fully open.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
the alloytec has fly by wire which means that the ecu has control over the throttle not your foot. a vcm tune removes alot of this torque management which means when you floor it off the line the throttle body will actually fully open.

not technically, only 80% hehe,

you have to play with max ve flow, this controls most of the throttle touchyness - well as much as you can do with it at the moment

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
The VCM tune will not give you the same grunt off the line as the ecotec. The alloytecs are naturally a higher revving motor and make their torque later in the rev range.

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
However still 0-100 you won't have ANY trouble whatsoever dispatching an ecotech. The alloytech's hit torque just after 2000rpm and then go hard from there on. Anyone else who tells you different or tries to tell you different is a fkn idiot and has no idea what they are talking about. I know for a fact, I used to own a VS S2 ute w/ extractors zorst and CAI, yet my VZ SV6 sedan still makes 0-100 faster and I have never been beaten to 100 by ANY ecotech or pre alloytech NA motor :) (unless they have had some work done to it of course.)

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
ok sweet, anyone know average price on a vcm tune..and still would it be pointless without and exhaust or be fine with the stock exhaust?

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
The going price seems to be $900 AUD. Usually a good idea to have zorst and cai etc sorted out before the tune else you have to get it retuned :) Should be OK with stock exhaust though with a good exhaust system on, will sound better and breathe easier also.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
i know for a fact my wagon slaughters vn and vs sixes off the mark, if it does that, i cant imagine a vt would be any quicker