Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low Voltage Battery Cutout

Lensman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Afternoon all.
Is there a product you can connect to the battery to isolate it when it drops down to a predetermined voltage eg 11.7v? Say you leave your boot ajar and the boot light remains on without you noticing and the battery runs right down. Is there a product that will prevent that from occurring and potentially ruining your battery?
Thanks in advance :)

lazyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 M6
Bcm shuts off lights after a few minutes of doors/boot been left open.

You can fit low voltage cut outs to aftermarket items. Amps/fridges/lights/chargers

Lensman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Well that's interesting, I did not know that. Would I have to lock the car to facilitate that? It's the only thing I didn't do, and the battery went flat.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Well that's interesting, I did not know that. Would I have to lock the car to facilitate that? It's the only thing I didn't do, and the battery went flat.

I only purchased my 2012 VE Wagon a few Months ago and didn't lock it as i wished to access stuff stored in the Boot in a small garage.My Battery,fitted new Repco one when i purchased car, also went flat in a few days.
I was told to by a neighbour his son also had the same trouble but with a 2008 model,apparently you have to lock car and set alarm for some reason.
Anyway i charged up battery for a couple of days and haven't had a problem since i started locking the car.
Local Holden Dealer said you have to fit the correct Silver/Calcium type Battery otherwise the computer controlled charging system can throw up all sorts of maladies.Looks like i'm up for another $300 Battery.
Someone on here may know more or explain what's happening.

pnlimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice L98
I'm pretty certain the locking of the car triggers the BCM to shut the electrics down (except the small amount of current required to keep the various memory functions active). As long as the vehicle's doors are locked, the boot can be left opened if required and the light will go out after a few minutes.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm pretty certain the locking of the car triggers the BCM to shut the electrics down (except the small amount of current required to keep the various memory functions active). As long as the vehicle's doors are locked, the boot can be left opened if required and the light will go out after a few minutes.

Ok,i have a wagon and when i locked the car but left the tailgate open i get flashing door ajar warning light,i waited several minutes but doesn't go out.Didn't wish to test what happens over days after the flat battery routine.

pnlimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice L98
I would think that the tailgate on a wagon would be like a door hence the "door ajar warning". From memory, an open boot doesn't show up on the dash warning light in a sedan. My previous post referred to a sedan.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
I posted in the VF Thread so perhaps it should be here..........
Can anyone on here that owns a VE ,Series 11,recommend a battery.The amount of misinformation, disinformation and just plain rubbish on the Net. is amazing. I've been told the computer charging system is fussy and needs a Calcium Battery,Auto Stores and Battery Shops say that's rubbish.
Back story is i have only owned the 2012 Wagon for a few Months,it looks like it had the original battery in it as i found it,after garaging it for a Week, with a Flat Battery. Fitted a Repco(Yuasa-Century made in Korea) and it seems to be continually charging at 14.8v for the last Month i had it in the car,that includes 200k trips.Changed Cig. Lighter Voltmeters but both read at 14.8v.
Local ACDelco agent said the VE doesn't like the Repco batteries and to fit the AC recommended model,but he would say that of course,so not sure what to do.
Any help appreciated.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Is the Repco battery starting the car ok now? It's not clear what the problem is.
Like you said it's hard to believe a salesman no matter which side of the fence he sits.
I'm using a Repco battery in my series 1. Is seems to go ok though you can find better batteries if you want to pay the money. Repco batteries are century batteries with a Repco sticker on them, mostly made in Malaysia.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is the Repco battery starting the car ok now? It's not clear what the problem is.
Like you said it's hard to believe a salesman no matter which side of the fence he sits.
I'm using a Repco battery in my series 1. Is seems to go ok though you can find better batteries if you want to pay the money. Repco batteries are century batteries with a Repco sticker on them, mostly made in Malaysia.

Repco Battery went flat about a week after i installed it,i wasn't locking the car then so i could access stuff stored in the boot area.Recharged and fitted but its seems to be permanently on full charge,14.8v.,is this normal?
Its starting the car Ok at the moment but i haven't left it for more than a week without driving,Voltmeter shows around 12.3v after a week,i think that's normal but a 14.8v consistent charge seems abnormal.