Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lower my car or buy audio equipment???

ruso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
Hi,
Can't decide weather to lower my car or install some audio equipment. Pretty bored of having nothing to do to my vx commodore. SO was thinking of going and buying some audio equipment to install. Is it possible to use the stock VX headunit and run some; 6X9's on parcel shelf, 12"sub in boot, with amps. Don't know what to buy??? or how many amps or weather I should use the stock headunit??????? ANY advice is appreciated cause I can't decide.

If anyone has any good setups or advice on what to buy with $1000 or less whilst using the stock headunit please let me know.
Cheers

Last edited:

headspin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Berlina
Headspin

Unfortunately I would buy yourself a new headunit. Reason being the stock headunit isnt very powerful and even the cheapest brand name head unit should do a much better job. Some companys make OEM interface units so that you can use your stock headunit but for a decent one itd be more than a new cheap deck and the deck will give you more features. If your looking for a cheap system id probably go for pioneer gear. Its relatively cheap for their lower end stuff but it still has good bang for the buck. Dont buy no name brands because 99% of the time they sound like crap. Found that out the hard way :( . When youre looking at decks id reccomend you get one with 2 pre outs so that you have the option in the future of hooking up more than one amp. Hope this helps.

ruso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
Thanx headspin. I think I'll purchase my headunit for now (pioneer $400-500 range) and then start saving for the rest of the gear. Cheers for the advice.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Pioneer DEH-4850 or whatever it was I had in my old car... kicked along very nicely even with just 6" pioneers in the back and stockies in the front - no amp.

Think they go for $350-400....

I don't think you get *alot* more quality/features until you hit the real high end gear.

ruso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
Yeh think I might go pioneer headunit. My brother just said he doesn't want his sony amp no more cause he doesn't need it, so I scored that for free. It's 2 channel so I might bridge it and hook up a subby to it:dance: and run the stock spkrs for now. Or should I hook up 2 rear 6X9's to the amp instead of a sub???

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Depends on whether you want subs or not... My preference is total stock look... everything 6" under normal covers.. but that is just me (having stock stacker helps :p)..

Have you got the 6x9's yet? Maybe just throw em in with the amp and see how they go... if you need more bass then the Pioneer HU will drive the 6x9 nicely and chuck a sub on the amp.

ruso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
Havn't got nutta yet. Need to decide wat I want to do then go out and spend the money. Might just go with 6X9's and leave the sub for later.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
haha so you want to know if you should spend money on lowering or audio? could you have asked a more biased forum?:p
keep the stock h/u. pm pheddy and ask for some info on his RCA mod for th stock h/u. i dont know how much you know, so pretty uch pheddy's modification to the h/u makes it so you get really good quality sound (same as a $400-$500 pioneer h/u or simular) and it will cost bugger all.
i priced putting in a sub into a mates car, for a 12inch jaycar inc amp, wiring even carpet and the plate to mount on the sub box to conect the speaker wires, all for $396 then just get some 1/2 decent speakers (no need for 6x9s because of the sub) and a jaycar amp and you will be rocking for 650-800ish.
or you could waste 400-500 on a h/u plus the wiring connector and then have a couple of hundred left to put a crap sub and un-amped speakers in.
really its no contest, you will end up with a great system if you save you money and mod the stock h/u.

ruso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
garfa how'd you hook up the amp and sub to factory h/u???

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
ok. you know how an amp usually requires rca plugs on the head unit to send the signal to an amp? well this guy with the user name phreddy worked his magic on the stock vt/vx h/u to have rca outs on the back. they are very clean so you wont notice a difference in sound quality compaired to a pioneer like you said.
so pretty much its a hugely cheap option to get a good stereo in a car for a lot less than it should cost.