Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lower oil grade causing a rattle in motor. Went from Penrite 20w-60 to 10w-40.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
20W50 in the ecotec. I wouldn't run anything else in one.

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
Where did that sheet come from?

I have all the holden /hsv manuals from VC to VZ

No rattling noise today, after the same drive to and from work.... It is such a different car though with the thinner oil.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
I have all the holden /hsv manuals from VC to VZ

No rattling noise today, after the same drive to and from work.... It is such a different car though with the thinner oil.

I used to think the same but it was all in my head, unless your doing 9000RPM lol. Just use 20W50. Its the oil thats supposed to be in there.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
I used to think the same but it was all in my head, unless your doing 9000RPM lol. Just use 20W50. Its the oil thats supposed to be in there.

But didn't someone post a copy from the holden book that said 10W recommended but 15W or 20W for lpg?

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Yep, the same holden book that says to put in 5.6L of oil lol.

For a VY which runs a larger capacity sump than the VS-VX, this is actually correct ;)
Infact, each ecotec model sump is different in some way to the one before it, mainly with different design internal baffles etc, but the VY is the only one with the increased capacity.

To the OP, as others have suggested, and what my own experience suggests (for what it's worth lol), go back to the HPR30 20w-60 you were previously running and i'll bet you lose the noise you've currently got. Especially a higher km one where tolerances are not what they once were, some ecotecs seem not to like thin oil grades. The lifters will become noisy as they struggle to pump the thinner grade and will starve the rocker gear of oil.

MACE

Reaction score
20W50 in the ecotec. I wouldn't run anything else in one.

Totally agree with this, unless it's a fresh engine with tighter clearances etc.

In your case sp001in, I would HIGHLY recommend you get yourself an oil pressure gauge fitted ASAP, as the oil pressure relief spring may be faulty. If left unattended will definitely accelerate engine wear

MACE

Reaction score
I used to run nulon 10w40 in my vs with 130,000 and it ran fine with no rattels

Serves me right for posting anything when I'm buggered, as I didn't get what I wanted to say properly across :(

I should clarify, depending on how loud the noise is going 10w40, should not cause it (unless the motor is fairly tired). I'm guessing it's a faulty pressure relief spring, which is why I'm suggesting that he gets the oil pressure checked.

I prefer running thicker oil (at the expense of performance gains of going thinner) as it does offer better protection in these engines IMHO

Cheers,
Steve

MACE

Reaction score
I used to run nulon 10w40 in my vs with 130,000 and it ran fine with no rattels

Serves me right for posting anything when I'm buggered, as I didn't get what I wanted to say properly across :(

I should clarify, depending on how loud the noise is going 10w40, should not cause it (unless the motor is fairly tired). I'm guessing it's a faulty pressure relief spring, which is why I'm suggesting that he gets the oil pressure checked.

I prefer running thicker oil (at the expense of performance gains of going thinner) as it does offer better protection in these engines IMHO

Cheers,
Steve