Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowerd my miss's ve calais and now have a problem. Help?

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
Hey everyone,

Ok so cut a long story short I changed all the springs in my miss's ve calais v6 on Sunday with ssl front and sl rear, now there is a weird nock in the front right strut but it only happends when I hit big bumps like speed humps or pot holes ect. Ill also add that I've done 2 of my previous ve's and never had nothing like this happen and the car never had any noises what so ever before this. Anyone got any ideas? I plan on pulling it back out on the week end and have a look but I'd be interested to hear people's thought, all help is very much appreciated cheers.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
I had a knock coming from the drivers side rear when I did mine and it turned out the bolts weren't all tightened up properly.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Well you either didn't put that foam bush in the right spot, you didn't do up that top nut tight enough or your shocker is no good. Did you do up the nut with a rattle gun?

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
Foam bush? Do you mean the bump stop? I've re checked all the bolts 2 times there as tight as I can get them and I done them all by hand, also I forgot to mention I replaced the strut top bearings at same time so I know it's not them. Cheers

Last edited:

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Mine did that and it was just the rubber that curls around the spring. Wasn't put back on the spring when fitted. I think it needs to sit near the top portion.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
With the car on the ground, undo the top nut on the strut, take the big washer off and do the next nut up as tight as you can, then put the washer back on and tighten the top nut as tight as you can. With the car on the gound, the weight is on the strut and will hold everything in place.

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
I think this nock is caused by more than just that rubber thing that curls around the spring but thank you ill have a look tonight, and thanks not an abba fan but that was the first thing I did after I heard the noise, there was a little bit of play on the second nut but nothing to dramatic cheers

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
The noise resembles the noise older commodores make when the sway bar link bush's give out only louder.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
When the vehicle is lowered from standard it can place additional strain on the bushes forcing them into a position other than that previously occupied. Sounds a bit weird I know, stick with me, when the worn part of the bushes is moved it can cause the suspension components to make the knocking noises. As suggested have a good look at the sway bar 'D' bushes, they are readily available cheap and easy to preplace.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
When the vehicle is lowered from standard it can place additional strain on the bushes forcing them into a position other than that previously occupied. Sounds a bit weird I know, stick with me, when the worn part of the bushes is moved it can cause the suspension components to make the knocking noises. As suggested have a good look at the sway bar 'D' bushes, they are readily available cheap and easy to preplace.

This is true

More than the strut assembly is affected when you put the shorter springs in...everything is connected and a few mm move in any component can make it behave badly