Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lowered suspension

commyvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 V6
hey im thinking of getting my car lowered and i like the look of superlows on the front and ultras on the rear. I was just wondering that with this setup does the car bottom out over every little bump? because i still want it to be practical and not sure if i should just put superlows on the rear.

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
I would recommend superlows all round.You will be dissapointed with the ride/harshness assosiated with being too low at the rear,not to mention rear passenger's causing the car to bottom out and scrape over speed humps.Just remember,looks are'nt everything and more often than not,cause unwanted problem's in the long run.

Mark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
i dont understand this concept of looks arent everything!!!! ultras allround!! nah it depends what u want, if u put ultras in the rear u do have to be a little more carefull, if u dont have any1 else in the car then u will be fine over most bumps but with a car load it will become a problem, superlows are a more practical option!

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
agree with beeks....superlow all round is the best for looks and practical

commyvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 V6
yeh thanks guys i think i will end up going for the superlows all round.

PerceptionTwin

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
'94 VR UTE
hey guys.. sorry to hijack.

im not sure what i have on my car at the moment.. it was lowered before i got it.

anyway. the ride is really rough... i am lead to believe that firmer is better, holds the road more, less sway etc, but this is just uncomfortable. i wouldnt mind raising it a bit (as i intend on getting bigger rims soon). im not sure if i would need just bigger softer springs, or shocks?

how can i tell what i have atm. should i get one of those repco suspension checks, and tell them my problem and see what they have to say. then buy the gear myself. my friend has just done his suspension so im sure we could install all mine.

thanks for ya advice.
Sam

EDIT: i also got a wheel alignment not long ago, and its showing the same symptoms again, steering wheel shake @ ~100 and slight pull to the left. so im thinking there is something wrong with the suspension. which is another reason i was thinking of one of those repco $14 checks

EDIT 2: jsut realised this is in VT-VX forum and i drive a VR, thou the advice should be the same. please advise if i should move

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
PerceptionTwin said:
hey guys.. sorry to hijack.

im not sure what i have on my car at the moment.. it was lowered before i got it.

anyway. the ride is really rough... i am lead to believe that firmer is better, holds the road more, less sway etc, but this is just uncomfortable. i wouldnt mind raising it a bit (as i intend on getting bigger rims soon). im not sure if i would need just bigger softer springs, or shocks?

how can i tell what i have atm. should i get one of those repco suspension checks, and tell them my problem and see what they have to say. then buy the gear myself. my friend has just done his suspension so im sure we could install all mine.

thanks for ya advice.
Sam

EDIT: i also got a wheel alignment not long ago, and its showing the same symptoms again, steering wheel shake @ ~100 and slight pull to the left. so im thinking there is something wrong with the suspension. which is another reason i was thinking of one of those repco $14 checks

EDIT 2: jsut realised this is in VT-VX forum and i drive a VR, thou the advice should be the same. please advise if i should move
The slight pull to the left is actually how most alignments are calibrated (prevents you from pulling into oncoming traffic if you fall asleep at the wheel) so that is not uncommon.

As for your shakes, that could be a number of things, most obvious is either you need a wheel balance, or there are some damaged joints.

As for your lowering of the vehicle, you didn't state how low the car is, I will assume that its super lows, if thats the case, you shouldn't sacrifice too much ride quality and that would lead me to believe you need your shocks and/or bushes replaced. Anything lower than super lows and you're going to have a rough ride.

I can't comment on suspension checks, as I've never used them to diagnose a problem.

PerceptionTwin

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
'94 VR UTE
ProphetVX said:
The slight pull to the left is actually how most alignments are calibrated (prevents you from pulling into oncoming traffic if you fall asleep at the wheel) so that is not uncommon.
thats alright then

As for your shakes, that could be a number of things, most obvious is either you need a wheel balance, or there are some damaged joints.
shouldnt they have balenced the wheels whilst doin the wheel alignment that i got a few weeks ago.

As for your lowering of the vehicle, you didn't state how low the car is, I will assume that its super lows, if thats the case, you shouldn't sacrifice too much ride quality and that would lead me to believe you need your shocks and/or bushes replaced.

I think it looks pretty low. but really have no idea if they are low, superlow, ultralow. this and the wheel shake is why i think there is something wrong. ie shocks , bushes or joints.

how much would these 3 things cost. and how muich would a good local mechanic charge to install.

EDIT: pics, how low is it? (rims are 17")
2179154_40_full.jpg

2179154_84_full.jpg