Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowered Ute Defective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ps n Utes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black 09 VE SV6 Ute
Sup all, got pulled up last night after having had my ute lowered for 3 months now and got a $100 fine for it being too low...

It measured at 80mm to the lowest part of the exhaust at the rear with approx 150kg load in the tray, empty tank and only myself in the car. So I was way under the max load requirement in the first place.

I'm running the sssl king springs with monroe GT short shocks and I definately can't bring myself to change back to the stock suspension or go for something like ssl or higher. Does anyone have a suggest for changing the exhaust in any way to bring the height under the car up above 100mm?

It doesn't seem too hard but I'm not quite sure how to go about it would appreciate some feedback, cheers.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
I took out the Insulators in mine and Mine dropped down to 80mm.. So if you dont have the Insulators you could get some and it should bump it up to the legal limit

Ps n Utes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black 09 VE SV6 Ute
Haha unfortunately TVR its not that simple.

The legal requirements for it to pass is for the lowest part on the car to be 100mm above the ground under a FULLY loaded car which inclused 500kg in the tray, 2 passengers and a full tank of fuel.

The cops also told me that the new law for lowering coming out states that it must also be above 100mm when you have a flat tyre.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Haha unfortunately TVR its not that simple.

The legal requirements for it to pass is for the lowest part on the car to be 100mm above the ground under a FULLY loaded car which inclused 500kg in the tray, 2 passengers and a full tank of fuel.

The cops also told me that the new law for lowering coming out states that it must also be above 100mm when you have a flat tyre.

Total bullshit.

The rule is, it must be 100mm fullen laden. If its not fully laden at the time of testing, it doesnt matter. You can take as much weight out of it as you want then go get it tested. The testers arent going to chuck 500 kilos of concrete in the back.

Ps n Utes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black 09 VE SV6 Ute
Dude I'm not bloody stupid, if the police wanted to they can by law require my vehicle to be tested fully laden and if, which my vehicle is, sits right on 100mm or just above while empty they can immediately tell that any weight put in the back whether it be 50kg or more, will lower the car under the 100mm restrictions.

They have the right to load my vehicle with 500kg if required by police with 2 people in the car and have my car filled with fuel to be tested. If the vehicle does not pass the requirements it will be deemed unroadworthy.

Check your facts before posting things like that mate. I wouldn't waste my time asking for suggests on exhaust mods when I could just empty my tray. Yes I may be able to get away with riding at a tad over 100mm on an empty load but my tray ALWAYS has at least 100kg of work gear in it.

The fact that I'm currently sitting JUST above 100mm with an empty load, full tank of gas and myself inside means I must mod my car to make it suit or change the suspension again which as I said above I'm not going to do.

Sorry to the rest of you for the rant and please keep posting if you have any other info that may be useful on exhaust mods. I'll try put some pictures up of the parts of my exhaust that are 'too low' to give you a better idea of what I'm chasing, cheers.

Ps n Utes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black 09 VE SV6 Ute
I took out the Insulators in mine and Mine dropped down to 80mm.. So if you dont have the Insulators you could get some and it should bump it up to the legal limit

Thanks Gothic but I'm unsure of the insulators your referring to can you give me a better idea? Cheers.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
Dude I'm not bloody stupid

no your right obviously because for the exhaust to be legal it has to use all the original mounting points of the factory exhaust (at least thats how it was last i heard)... and then even if you get your 20mm that you need your car was barely loaded so i think your gonna need about 50mm for when it fully loaded in which case youll have other points lower than the exhaust

your running sssl springs and you want to get it legal while carrying load?? either do what some do and just change your springs everytime you get a defect and then switch them out or buy airbags

and also ive had mates defected for cars too low and they have never been required to fully laden their car... so just take some useful advice from people rather than trying to make yourself look smart when your whole thread reeks of stupidity

Ps n Utes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black 09 VE SV6 Ute
Here are the pics from under the rear of my car. You can see the pipes that are very low (currently sitting 80mm off ground) which can move up and down and have black rubber mounts which seem to be either holding them in place or just supporting them.

rear left wheel view low pipes.jpgview from  rear.jpg

Is there possibly a mod to do with these mounts and the movement allowed with those pipes that can raise them? Is there any particular reason that anyone knows as to why they sit that low?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Why lower a ute that much in the first place? Utes are designed to take loads = stock or heavy duty springs/shocks.
Then you won't have any problem with the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.