Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lowered vl problem

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
hey guys,

looking for some info on what to do next. I have lowered my vl on king springs sl all round with monroe gt sport shocks and im running fr 20.

Problem im having is the rear feels too soft with the king springs and monroe gt sport shocks and my tyres rub on my gaurd (I've had the gaurds rolled and my rear rims machined). I rang up the place I got the shocks and they said there more of a comfort shock and nothing is wrong with them.

I've felt my mates car with the same combo and his rear on his vs ss you can't bounce the rear as its stiff which is what I want.

My mate said my shocks are too soft and try putting monroe gt gas wagon shocks in my vl which may stiffen it up but another mate said its my springs which are causing the car bounce and to fix it ill need hd rear springs and getting stiffer shocks won't help.

Ill only rub on massive dips in the road or potholes but when I have someone in the back seat its bad.
Before I go spend more money, is my problem my shocks or springs or both?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If you have used KHPR-20SL then they are ultra low. KHPR-20HD are super low.

It won't be shocks, they don't hold the car up.

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
If you have used KHPR-20SL then they are ultra low. KHPR-20HD are super low.

It won't be shocks, they don't hold the car up.

Hey mate i have in the rear khrl-20 which is king springs lowered as it dropped it 2-3cm from factory

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
That may be the problem then, you have VS springs in your VL. Different spring rates.

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
That may be the problem then, you have VS springs in your VL. Different spring rates.

Thats what the King springs website suggest for my vl as I didnt want to go too low and thats what i bought so now im not sure.

Which springs should I went with to get a 2-3cm drop thats for the vl rear?

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
KHRL-20HD extra heavy duty.

Do you have any weight in the back? Subs?

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
only weight ill have is if i take 2 passengers in the back seat but nothing else in the back when its just me

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
hey guys,

looking for some info on what to do next. I have lowered my vl on king springs sl all round with monroe gt sport shocks and im running fr 20.

Problem im having is the rear feels too soft with the king springs and monroe gt sport shocks and my tyres rub on my gaurd (I've had the gaurds rolled and my rear rims machined). I rang up the place I got the shocks and they said there more of a comfort shock and nothing is wrong with them.

I've felt my mates car with the same combo and his rear on his vs ss you can't bounce the rear as its stiff which is what I want.

My mate said my shocks are too soft and try putting monroe gt gas wagon shocks in my vl which may stiffen it up but another mate said its my springs which are causing the car bounce and to fix it ill need hd rear springs and getting stiffer shocks won't help.

Ill only rub on massive dips in the road or potholes but when I have someone in the back seat its bad.
Before I go spend more money, is my problem my shocks or springs or both?
I am talking about sedans only in my reply to your query...as utes and wagons run different spring numbers and rates to the sedans.

Firstly VL,VN,VP rear springs are the same for V8/V6 for the BW solid/live axle diff, the front springs are different for V8 to V6 due to weight of motor.

Your mates VS SS rear springs would be different KHRL-46 which are for VR/VS IRS diffs.

Your KHRL-20 is the rear lowered VL springs matching the old factory FE2 springs 20mm to 30mm lower than standard and settling down to about 25mm eventually.

The KHRL-20 lowered springs can use the same Monroe GT sports shocker as the standard springs or use the shortened shockers recommended that are essential for the lower ultra low springs, its just a matter of softness in ride you prefer and both shocks work ok for the KHRL-20.

Your issue is not that your mate has the same combo as the VS KHRL-46 stuff is for IRS diffs (if he has the KHRL-20 like you then he has the wrong spring on his car)...so I think you have to find springs to suit the Higher rim/tyres your running as the springs/shockers you have now are suited for 15” wheels not 20” and possibly not compressing/working to their ride rate of the coils.

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
I am talking about sedans only in my reply to your query...as utes and wagons run different spring numbers and rates to the sedans.

Firstly VL,VN,VP rear springs are the same for V8/V6 for the BW solid/live axle diff, the front springs are different for V8 to V6 due to weight of motor.

Your mates VS SS rear springs would be different KHRL-46 which are for VR/VS IRS diffs.

Your KHRL-20 is the rear lowered VL springs matching the old factory FE2 springs 20mm to 30mm lower than standard and settling down to about 25mm eventually.

The KHRL-20 lowered springs can use the same Monroe GT sports shocker as the standard springs or use the shortened shockers recommended that are essential for the lower ultra low springs, its just a matter of softness in ride you prefer and both shocks work ok for the KHRL-20.

Your issue is not that your mate has the same combo as the VS KHRL-46 stuff is for IRS diffs (if he has the KHRL-20 like you then he has the wrong spring on his car)...so I think you have to find springs to suit the Higher rim/tyres your running as the springs/shockers you have now are suited for 15” wheels not 20” and possibly not compressing/working to their ride rate of the coils.

Curerntly the monroe gt sport shocks i have are part #15-0567.

On the king springs website it lists the KHRL-20HD as a Lowered EHD spring for my 1988 holden commdore vl 3.0L sedan as a stiffer spring so hopefully that can should fix my problems.

Thinking about it, are my shocks even a shortened shock and are they the right shocks for my springs? or are there another monroe shock better suited?

Last edited: