Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lowered vl problem

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
need to wait until melbs stupid lockdown is eased up then i can go somewhere and enquirer.

thats why i was thinking of leaving my current shocks in putting in a pair of the KHRL-20HD springs in to make the rear more stiff and possibly problem solved man
Yer worth a try, after all its only money and best way to find out is to try if it gives you what you want and easier in your covid situation .....
The HD’s are thicker so 10mm higher thus they will not be/go as low as the RL’s even when they settle in months down the track and could be the little extra you need to avoid scrubbing over bumps with your 20” rims and wont compress as much when you add people weight in back seat.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
VL on 20's and lowered. Not a good combination for ride comfort in any language...

The best fix would be coil overs.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
"Kings".......... There's the problem....
Any spring brand would be an issue with 20" rims fitted over the engineered factory standard 15" rim for the car, without even talking about legalities or safety of ride. :cool:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Interesting my VL had 14s, did the Calais have 15s?

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Yer worth a try, after all its only money and best way to find out is to try if it gives you what you want and easier in your covid situation .....
The HD’s are thicker so 10mm higher thus they will not be/go as low as the RL’s even when they settle in months down the track and could be the little extra you need to avoid scrubbing over bumps with your 20” rims and wont compress as much when you add people weight in back seat.

I emailed king springs today and they replied saying the khrl-20hd will be exactly the same ride height as the standard khrl-20.

Only difference the spring rate is increased so I find that interesting

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
I emailed king springs today and they replied saying the khrl-20hd will be exactly the same ride height as the standard khrl-20.

Only difference the spring rate is increased so I find that interesting
These are the codes for King Springs from their master catalogue
HD Extra Heavy Duty / Increased Height +10mm
HHD High Extra Heavy Duty / Increased Height +10mm
EHD Extra Heavy Duty ~ 1mm Thicker Wire

As I said before try the KHRL-20HD and see how you go for height and see if the email reply is correct over the KHRL-20 being the same height.
Measure the eyebrow height from wheel/rim centre to top of guard before/after .. or .. from the guard to level ground distance before/after and see the difference with the springs if any.

If you still have issues with slight scrapping as mentioned before Nolathane have a range of spring pads from memory between 6mm to 14mm that you can add/raise to get your lil clearance you need.

If you still have any issues after using nolathane spring pads well going to a smaller rim like a 17” VT international alloy or spend more money/invest in coilovers as suggested by naaf, Your car, your money, your choice.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Interesting my VL had 14s, did the Calais have 15s?
everyone knows and recognizes ;) the famous top of the range VL Calais 15" Alloys especially if you have ever owned a VL lower model

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Fark that the turbo/vn spac hubbies were the bomb or silver chasers with dress rims etc.

Povo yet tasty for p=platers was vr(?) acclaim hubbies :)

If car needs just a little height maybe look into thicker pedders spring insulators/spacers...either way having 20's on early either tyre rubbing or shite ride is to be expected