Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowered VS tires scrapeing guards with or without weight?

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
Hey guys

just a quick question I threw in some pedder rear springs 2129 they sit the tire basically inline with guards, the problem is the tires are rubbing on the guards when I get to a slightly bumpy road with or without weight in the car when the car is fully loaded it tucks quarter of the tire but still no problems until the road gets bumpy.

I noticed though if i push the car side to side it wobbles like crazy I think it is the panhard rod bush is stuffed. Would this cause the scrapping on the guards problem as It doesn't sound like it is bottoming out. I didn't have this problem with lows in it but then again the tire sat 20mm from the guards.

Thanks

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
Do you have an adjustable panhard under it, Im assuming its a solid rear end. If you dont you might need to get 1, also is it scrapping on both sides or just 1.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
yeah it is live axle and no it don't have an adjustable bar yet, I do know it will need one. Though the scrubbing sounds more from the passenger side but when loaded is on either side depending on the location of the bumps on the road, that is why I thought about that bush causing the weight to shift side to side and causing the scrubbing.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Get a adjustable pan hard rod go through and check all your bushes as your car is coming on 15 ish years old and check that your rims are the right off set.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
once a car with solid diff is lowered beyond normal loaded travel distance ewith standard springs the panhard binds up and on excessive bumps it jolts the diff sideways

i think youll find you right hand rear tyre is marking from hitting the gaurd
fix is an adjustable panhard

so on a vl (for e.g. cause i know these suspension measurements)
on stock springs - it moves half inch fully loaded to the right
on 2 inch lowered springs - its already 1 1/2 inch across from panhard too long forcing it out sideways

it will hit on these as the travel on stock springs and standard panhard is only 1 1/2 inch get it? add wheels to this that are wider and even less to hit

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
I am pretty sure I get what u mean, it is on 18s so if I get the adjustable pan hard rod that should stop the problem of the tires scrubbing on the guards on bumpy roads?

once adjusted correctly of course.

comaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs esteem S2 manual
rubber mallet and a head gun. slowly heat paint and tap away!