Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowered vy exec scraping noise! HELP.

breaker91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Executive S1
Just got my vy executive lowered. Super Lows front and back (Kings) and monroe gt sports gas shocks. On the drive home there was a slight dip in the road and all of a sudden i hear this horrible scraping(screeching) noise. This was with my dad in the car who advised against lowering it so to say the least he wasnt impressed. My car is on 19's was wandering if you guys could tell me why this is happening. Will be calling suspension place tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Can't make a judgement without seeing it...

But it sounds like the the wheel has made contact with either the guard or the inner guard... though on SL... must have been a biiiiiig dip or the rims have a bad offset on them.

If it is making contact with the guard, this can be fixed why rolling the guards...

Seeing some pictures of how the car is sitting and how the wheels sit in the guards would help... and more info.

I'm guessing it came from the back? but which side? Was is a dull noise or a high pitch metallic noise?

breaker91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Executive S1
Sorry can't take pics but will as soon as possible. Took it out again today and im pretty sure its the front left tyre scraping on something. It doesnt even have to be a severe dip or anything. They are osaka mannus rims 19x8. Sounds like wheel rubbing on something not metal.
Thanks

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
fronts are scrubbing?? interesting... and it happens when you're going straight?

Umm... ok... things to check:

1. Make sure the inner plastic guard is not loose somewhere.

2. Take the wheel off and look for any spots on the inner guard that show signs of tyre contact...

Really not sure... try to get those pictures up... really not sure at this point to be honest...

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
Is it the mudgaurds? Lol, SL's aint really low enough to have scrapping on struts or gaurds, But ya never know.

depends on other factors too mate. for example dad's VT would scrape with my rims and tires (235/45R18), when his was with 'low' King springs, yet mine with "superlow" Lovells doesn't on the same tires. depends on the make of the spring, condition of the struts and shocks, tires, offset. i don't know about mudguards, but wait for the pics and then decide
throw em up as soon as ya get the chance bud

jonnyturbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VYII SS
yeh mate i got 19x235's on my vy with king super low's all round. my back left scrape's over most bump's in the road. im assuming that shock is getting a bit tired and will be replacing them along with getting the rear guard's rolled. my tyre is rubbing on inner guard and allthough sound's bloody horrible is causing no damage to the tyre. just make sure there is no bare metal to start rusting before the panel beater get's under there and roll's them.